Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt

Hi, My history has been a mix of depression, anxiety, and

My history has been a mix of depression, anxiety, and depersonalization starting most severely when I was 13yo. I'm 25 now, and I feel like I cope well with this and my depersonalization is something that only comes up when I'm really anxious or stressed, especially around other people. But the main problem now is I'm obsessed with it--several times a day I am Googling about it and also looking up an old professor because I feel like a conversation about it was started but never finished. I guess I'm obsessed with learning more about me from other people. Intellectually, I know it's silly, but that hasn't changed my need. I'm seeing a counselor, but I need help getting out of my head, not in it--How do I do that?
Also: I have dilated pupils all the time--is that a symptom?
Also: One time I caught myself at the end of a presentation speaking in a toddler's voice. I didn't know if was me at first. If it happens once like that, does that mean I might have DID?
Submitted: 7 years ago via Patientsville.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 7 years ago.

Good Evening,

In order for a dissociative identity disorder to be diagnosed various symptoms/criteria will need to be met-

Example: the presence of two or more distinct identities or personality states, at least two of these recurrently taking control of the person's behavior, inability to recall important information, the disturbance is not due to direct physiological effects or as a result of substances.

Depersonalization as a disorder in itself also has to meet specific criteria/symptoms. Sometimes individuals may experience depersonalization when under a lot of physiological and psychological stress (but that in itself will not lead to the existence or diagnosis of Depersonalization Disorder ) Speaking in a child's voice by itself will not constitute a DID diagnosis. If you believe that you have a personality disorder such as DID then only a specialist in this area is the one that can assist w/ proper counseling and treatment. If you are seeking a specific diagnosis you may want to try and get an evaluation by a psychologist face to face for an extensive assessment.

The dilation of the pupils is something you may want to mention to your doctor (it could be a side effect of medication, neurological or have any other organic cause hence, this will be something a physician will need to look into) Dilated pupils is not a symptom of DID or other personality disorders, depression or anxiety.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
I was wondering if you had any recommendations for getting past obsessive thinking. I've read a lot online (obviously, since that is my obsession), and I'm seeing a counselor, but nothing seems to be helping. I know about thought blocking and limiting my obsessive thinking to a time limit in a way of controlling it better. I guess my question is not the kind to be answered on a site like this though--it's all too complicated. Thank you anyway.
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 7 years ago.

Good Evening,

Hopefully your counselor is utilizing cognitive behavioral therapy techniques (quite helpful with anxiety and obsessions/compulsions)

If you are open to different anti anxiety medications you could mention this to your physician. Hypnotherapy is also helpful in addition to the other options.