How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Ralph LMHC Your Own Question

Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 872
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Ralph LMHC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sisters psychiatrist told her that he would never put her

Customer Question

My sister's psychiatrist told her that he would never put her into a mental hospital, she is bi-polar and is in a total manic state. Her friend, a liscensed practical nurse was with her and could not believe he told her that. Is this ethical?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.

To make a promise like that is plain wrong. If your son is a danger to yourself, himself or others than he should be placed in a hospital. For a doctor to do less in my opinion constitutes malpractice. If he is acting i n any way that appears tob an iminent danger to self or others, then you are where he is acting danderously, the best thing is to call emergency services in most states that is 911. If this answer has been helpful please let me know by accepting it and pressing the green button wich also allows me to be paid. As always feedback is appreciated.


Ralph LMHC

Ralph LMHC and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it was my sister, not my son. Now, who do I report him to for this abuse which has caused only wreckage and pain to my sister and our whole family?
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.

It does not matter if your son or sister-my error. However if the damage is emotional, that is one thing, but if she is a totally manic state call 911 and report it. Theyt will send an ambulance to take her to psych er. Do not forget to tell the authorities that she has a history of mental illness and if she is on meds-tell them about it. Show them the meds if you can. be careful people in full blown manic episode have impaired judgement and are capable of harmful actions.


Ralph LMHC

I aqm pressing info because you have paid for your answer

Related Mental Health Questions