Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.

Can you be highly strung all the time without suffering from

Can you be highly strung all the time without suffering from a disorder. and if so how can you relax and stop letting the little things nag you & others?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Norman M. replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer- thanks for visiting.

So that I can give a resaonable answer, can you tell me:

Are you taking any medication?
How long has this been going on?
Are there a lot of stresses in your life? What are they?
You say you are highly strung - how does this affect you - disagreeing with people a lot, losing your temper, being anxious or what?

Please ignore the bit that follows about the Accept button - this is just a request for information, not yet an answer.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No I am not on any medication, i never have been. I've never been at peace with myself really. I have stresses like i'm a single mother of two energetic girls, i work fulltime....thats the day to day regular stuff. I also have a problem ex 'the childrens father' taking me to court for access after 3 yrs he surfaces the relationship was abusive & violent and the whole thing has made a little more anxious then normal probably forcing the issue.

I also suffer from hemiplegia 'left' which is i suppose slight in comparison to some, but it still sets me apart from the 'norm' I dont let it stop me doning anything. i drive a manual vehicle & regukarly visit the gym foe physical activity, but i feel its a kind of burden as it always made me different.

I just want to be happy & content with who i am really.

Expert:  Norman M. replied 7 years ago.
Hello again - thanks for getting back to me.

I think, to be honest, we can forget about any psychological disorder here. You have a busy life, with more than the usual number of difficulties, and you seem to be coping very, very well.

You would probably benefit, howver, from a brief period of counselling/ therapy - only to give you a better insight into what you really want and where you would like your life to go. Sometimes, it is easier for an 'outsider' to see clealry where you are, and to help you find your own answers, but not dictate to you what you should do.

I suggest you contact a therapist locally - preferably someone skilled in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy - and see if they can help. Talk to them for a bit before you commit to any sessions - you need to know if you can be comfortable with the particular person. Also, check their qualifications - they should be registered with either the UKCP or BACP.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks....I have thought about councelling, but its the time. I'm grateful you dont think i'm crazy but I can get totally irrate at times. If i had a tape recorder to listen to later im sure i would cringe at how petty i can be.....other the simplest things. I hate being like that, makes me feel stupid & unhappy. Thanks again i hope, I will feel normal someday. ;)