Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

have brain injury and ptsd and been suffering with depression

have brain injury and ptsd and been suffering with depression for last 7 years with drinking and drug abuse. Should i be taking an anti depressate even though i scared of the side effects? Lately i,ve been sleeping alday and thinking of suicial thoughts. What should i do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
Customer

You sound like you have quite a lot of things to deal with. Your drinking and drug abuse are always going to interact with depression and PTSD. If there is any way you can detox from that, some of your worries will take care of themselves. If you feel you can't do that on your own, go to a treatment center or any Emergency Room. There are some things that are deadly to detox from without medical support.

Talk to your prescribing doctor about your worries of the side effects, and make sure they know all of your symptoms and what you've been taking on the side. If you're completly honest, you'll get more tailored treatment.

Don't sit back and think this will all go away on its own...you deserve to live out the best life that you can: free from depression. Counseling can support you through these changes when your own hope gets low.

Above all else, if you feel that you might actually hurt yourself, get to an ER in any way possible. It isn't normal to think that way, so if you are, your brain needs more help than it's getting now. Don't hesitate to get help. Tell your family or friends how you're feeling or your counselor - don't suffer alone, it's not necessary.

Good luck to you, and I hope you find the treatment you deserve to enjoy. If you've found any answers in this post, please click Accept. Thank you.
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience: Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.