Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

My daughter has been having no success in her bipolar treatment.

My daughter has been having no success in her bipolar treatment. It's been six years since her diagnosis. She is on medicare, so access to doctors is limited, because most do not accept medicare. We have decided to see a Psychiatrist who works at NIH, but sees select patients. This doctor has participated in numerous studies, and written or co-written numerous papers. We have to pay cash to see him, which means we will probably not get reimbursed. Do you think that this is a wise choice. We are desperate, and in the first 2-hour meeting, he asked 10 times as many questions as any other doctor has ever asked, and seemed really interested.
Wow! You're keeping excellent records & that makes the people who do treat her much better informed. Very smart move.

What catches my eye about the doctor you mentioned is that he interviewed her for 2 hours. Long time ago, a psychiatrist who was revered in Chicago told me that NOTHING is a substitute for time when you're taking a new patient with a complicated history. But he was the only one who took that kind of time with the patients like your daughter, and let me tell you: it mattered. He took the time to know them and his treatments were always much better and personally tailored to the individual patient.

So, I'm going to guess that he's worth paying out of pocket if he's willing to really get to know her history and her, and her current situation.

Good luck in your journey, Congrats to her on that 1 year chip - I wish her many more. The meds she's on and alcohol don't mix, and addiction interacts with all mental illness. I'm glad to hear all the resources you're using.

If you found value in this post, please click Accept. Thank you.