Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt

Is there a doctor available who would practice in hypnosis

Customer Question

Is there a doctor available who would practice in hypnosis for pain management, motivation and smoking cessation for a person with an acquired brain injury?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 7 years ago.

Good Afternoon,

A hypnotherapist (being a certified one myself) should be willing to work with various clients. The issue here is )the person who is receiving the hypnotherapy to be willing to work on the issues at hand. Hypnosis is not mind control and it works best when the client is open to the treatment (like w. any other therapy modality)

My suggestion is to chose a certified hypnotherapist with a Master's degree or above such as a PhD, PsyD, EDD etc. A Medical Doc is not per se required for this unless you have a desire for the provider to be a medical doc in order to address the brain injury component. If you already have a neurologist, see if you could get some good referrals for certified hypnotherapist in your area.

If in the USA, inquire from your mental health insurance carrier if they pay for this treatment (for instance Cigna pays for hypnotherapy) and if your insurance does in deed pays for this service, you may inquire about possible referrals in your area.

Other tips would be to contact the chosen hypnotherapist and see what areas they specialise in. In regard to the brain injury (my thoughts on this as that if the person receiving the hypnosis is functioning at a level of care that allows for this then there is really no "side effects" or risks that I can think of.

Again, hypnosis is never against one's will, it consists of providing verbal inductions to the client when he/she is in a relaxed state and thier brain waves function in Alpha level (which is a state that anyone experiences when relaxed, reading a book, day dreaming, prior to falling or waking up, etc)

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you...this information we do know, but were looking for a name specifically...I believe we misunderstood what the content of the answer would be.
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 7 years ago.
I think you will be able to find this in your area of residence by seeking referrals from either your insurance, neurologist, if there is a pain management institute or an alternative medecine for nurses/ credentialing programs (I am not sure how otherwise someone online could identify a specific person in a given area of residence unless they have a first hand knowledge of that person) Good luck
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you Dr. Rossi...we are not having luck finding anyone in our area who has any credentials above clinical hypnotherapist...which is not anywhere near a Masters level or above as we see you have an opinion on Clinical Therapist credentials?
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 7 years ago.

Good Evening,

I am in the USA andd am not familiar about the credentialing in Canada. I would suggest to use the info below for a start to get more info on possible referrals and best suited provider.

If you can not find a Masters's level provider, look for one with the most clinical hours of experience in the areas in which you seek help.

Hypnosis Help and Information Line: 1-888-686-6163

or this link below for providers in CANADA

Best of Luck.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi...sorry for the dealy...we are dealing in brain injury here lol! It has been a busy day...thank you for the last message..I am very motivated to find someone who will help. And I will work hard on the process...but I don't want someone to have me keep coming back over and over again becasue "it doesn't work the first time" I am on a fixed income and can't afford too many trips not only to the city because I live in an isolated area, but to pay the therapsit becasue we have no coverage for such therapies in BC...anyway...I thank you for the time you took to help me and I will check out the website you sent...
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 7 years ago.

Please inquire from the therapist what is the average length of treatment (per each category)

Here I've listed some general guidelines applicable :

pain management (6-12 sessions)

motivation (4-5)

smoking cessation (minimum of 3 sessions)

Sessions are going to be spread out (closer to each other initially and then spread out in the following month(s)

The way to make it successful, would be influenced by the willingness to be there and to receive the help (beware of the "honey moon period" when you start to feel better and then think no more sessions are needed. The therapist will make the proper recommendations and then perhaps you could inquire about a sliding scale.

I believe in the mind body connection, have used it w/ clients and in self hypnotic sessions.

Good luck.