Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.

I have this problem that is ruining my life. I can barely be

I have this problem that is ruining my life. I can barely be a productive member in the world. My awareness is very poor. I feel lost in a crowd. I am extremely absent minded and have trouble assesing the situation. Poor problem solving at times. I also think my working memory is poor. If I don't improve I predict a dark future. What is the diagnosis for these symptoms. Are they curable? Really looking forward to your answer.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
Can you tell me a little bit more of your history? Do you have any medical illnesses? Have you spoken to a physician about this? How long has it gone on, and what do you mean by "awareness"? Is this of yourself or more like you feel cut off from the world?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have had this problem my whole life. I'm pretty sure I had and have ADD and I have been on and off depressed since I was about ten. By "awareness" I mean its hard for me to take in my surroundings. And I do feel cut off from the world.
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
I've got good news for you. This cluster of symptoms is common and treatable.

Depression and ADD play off each other in a negative way and often leave a person without the ability to sustain relationships. (Sometimes this shows up more at your age, when relationships stop being easily made by association with a school or early job.)

What happens is the long running low-grade depression that you've experienced for the past 14 years(called dysthymia), causes a person to pull more into themselves. I call this Conservation Withdrawl--you don't have enough energy to pay attention to anything "extra" because normal daily functions are barely getting done. A wall of cloud starts to form around you and you can feel numb and cut off from people.

Then the ADD compounds it, because if you have subtle ADD, it's hard to pay attention long enough to work on a solution...every time you get a little energy to get help or make some change, or to reach out to people and find out more about them, you can't really FEEL it - there's little reward for all that effort. Then, POP...your thoughts have already drifted and you're on to something else. This is a negative feedback loop that over time really does cut people off from the world.

Both combine to make for poor decision making, and impulsive actions: jumping to a conclusion or into an activity without really being able to think about it.

None of this is your fault. You're not lazy or stupid, but I've bet you've felt like that a time or two. It's not about "try harder", its about trying something different.

I recommend you go see your doctor or a psychiatrist and be evaluated for medication for ADD and Depression. There are a few meds that will treat both at the same time. Raising your seratonin level will help both issues very quickly and with little side effects. There are plenty of treatment options for you. Keep working at finding what works for you - you can start to feel again and feel a valuable part of your world very soon.

If you'd found information in this post, please click accept. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck.! If you have other questions that you'd like me to answer, feel free to direct them to my attention.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much! I'm actually taking meds for depression. My mood is alot better but I still have these symptoms. It's like a problem processing information. Someone will tell me something and I have to go over it in my head untill I get it. It really makes for poor performance at my job. Even the new hires are more adept at my job then me. Should I get therapy too, to acquire techniques to overcome this?
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
What is the medication you're on right now?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
6 mg of Invega, and 200 mg of Lamotrigne.
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
Hmmm..I'm going to assume those medications have been prescribed by a psychiatrist to address your mood and your feelings of depersonalization. Its good that you're feeling a positive effect. I recommend talking about your ADD symptoms at your next regular visit, or that you schedule a special visit to address this aspect of your issue.

You're on the right track! Keep moving toward your health - you deserve it!

Thank you!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you! Would you recommend therapy too? Do you think I show signs of a learning disability? thanks
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
I don't know about the learning would need to see an educational psychologist for that. They'd test you and let you know.

Therapy will help you rebuild your life and to cope with the new changes. Supportive psychotherapy might benefit you - there is no harm in trying!

If you'd found good advice in this session, please click accept. Filling out the feedback form is very appreciated by me. Thank you.