Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.

What diagnosis do you have for someone who fantasises over

What diagnosis do you have for someone who fantasises over plans to manipulate people into giving them attention, empathy and comfort - and then finds ways of making these plans happen.... including getting themselves raped, in order to be able to tell people about it... creating eating disorders, self harming etc to create intimate 1-on-1 conversations with people to demand empathy and comfort and closeness. Other symptoms include dissociativeness, masochism, blurred childhood, hypochondria, food neophobia & severe insecurities and feelings of worthlessness - any thoughts?
It sounds like your speaking of a person with Borderline Personality Disorder. Let me lead you to a website that will help you understand it better:

Here is a good list of the symptoms:
Make frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment.
Have a pattern of difficult relationships caused by alternating between extremes of intense admiration and hatred of others.
Have an unstable self-image or be unsure of his or her own identity.
Act impulsively in ways that are self-damaging, such as extravagant spending, frequent and unprotected sex with many partners, substance abuse, binge eating, or reckless driving.
Have recurring suicidal thoughts, make repeated suicide attempts, or cause self-injury through mutilation, such as cutting or burning himself or herself.
Have frequent emotional overreactions or intense mood swings, including feeling depressed, irritable, or anxious. These mood swings usually only last a few hours at a time. In rare cases, they may last a day or two.
Have long-term feelings of emptiness.
Have inappropriate, fierce anger or problems controlling anger. The person may often display temper tantrums or get into physical fights.
Have temporary episodes of feeling suspicious of others without reason (paranoia) or losing a sense of reality.

It's a very life-disturbing problem for both the patient and anyone in contact with them once the idealization part of the relationship is over. A good site for people recovering from it is BPD Central.

If you've found information in this post, please click Accept. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I researched into Borderline Personality Disorder a few times, but ruled it out because the symptoms didn't match although a few similarities, as with many mental illnesses, the symptoms are more fantasical, obsessively coming up with fantasy scenarios with chosen "victims" whom they want to empathise, comfort, nurture them. Then go to extreme lengths to enable these scenarios to play out. Although often depressed, never suicidal, although once using it as a ploy to get attention. No problems with anger, especially never physical fights - never actually able to stick up for self. Also never paranoid - actually insightfully aware & clear-minded. Mildly hypochondriatic, though tries not to be. Athough frequently dissociative, distinctly self-aware, completely consumed by a ridicuously vast amount of insecurities - and cannot figure out what caused these feelings. I for a while considered munchausens, but again the symptoms don't really add up. Is it possibly something different, or a different stem of BPD combined with other disorders/illnesses?
The other one that might apply is Histrionic Personality Disorder, which many experts believe is really just BPD in an extroverted person. In my experience, Histrionic people don't usually spend lots of time thinking about how they're going to get attention...they just go out and get it.

Both of these disorders can be marked by a seeming lack of insight and a retalitory defensive response if they feel confronted or "caught".

In diagnosing BPD, or any other disorder, only a few of the symptoms are requiered...rarely would any one person exhibit all of them.

You wrote:
"Athough frequently dissociative, distinctly self-aware, completely consumed by a ridicuously vast amount of insecurities"

I don't know if I've ever seen a better short and to-the-point diagnostic indicater of BPD. I'm going to stick with the BPD diagnosis based on the info you've given.

If you've found information in this post, please click Accept. Feel free to direct any further questions to me, as I'd be happy to help you. Thank you.