Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

Some time ago I began having vivid and overwhelming Zombie

Some time ago I began having vivid and overwhelming Zombie delusions. They were fast and strong Zombies from the movie 28 Days Later - not slow and sambling. I would see them in the corner of my eye on the patio while watching TV inside, standing there staring at me breathing heavily. Some times I would wake in the middle of the night convinced one was standing over me. For the first time in my life I could not walk in the house at night if the lights were not on. I began detailed planning on making my family home defensible for the Zombie Apocalypse. Soon it dominated my thinking and I could think of little else. It resulted in a constant level of generalised anxiety more intense than any I have ever experienced. I consider myself a very resiliant, confident and capable person but this was all but incapacitaing. Approx 6 weeks later it just stopped and has not reoccurred. I have never had any other mental health issues beyond the normal stress experienced in life. Thoughts?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 4 years ago.

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, what you had suffered from can be experienced by anyone ,and what happened is that you got so much engrossed and pre occupied with the thoughts of zombies , and this probably occurred due to getting influenced by such zombie movies ,and all this lead to Nightmares ( getting up late at night afer sleeping , mainly due to the vivid dreams of zombies , and then not able to go to sleep after that ) and Generalized anxiety disorder ( GAD ).

In GAD , the attention is narrowed to the object which one fears about , so much so that one starts imagining the feared objects , even when he is widely awake , and this is exactly that was happening to you , as you also started seeing zombies while watching TV.

Such kind of experience is not uncommon , and over a period of time it looses effect on the person as the memory of the feared object or situation gets weaker , and finally it dissapears and the person does not get such thoughts again .

However , the thoughts may get precipitated if you again indulge in watching zombie movies , so kindly refrain yourself from indulging in such thrills , as it effects your quality of life , as it causes anxiety and nightmares.

So, as of now , there is no need to worry and think about it , you shall just move on and do not give much attention to such thoughts .also, if at times you get too much anxious and scared then you shall ask your doctor to prescribe you 1 anti anxiety drug such as Klonopin or Buspar , and you shall get started on 1 of these for 2-3 weeks duration, and then you will be alright.

I hope this helps..

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Regards..

Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry