Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I suffer from panic atttack with my doctor said is anixity

Customer Question

I suffer from panic atttack with my doctor said is anixity disorder. whenever i have to go to the doctor is when i get the most scary panic attack which causes my blood pressure to rise and heart to palpatate. what can i do to help me relax when i have to see the doc for my check ups.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
Dear Charmer,
You have White Coat Syndrome..as you'll see below, it's very common and there are ways to deal with it using medicine and behavioral techniques.

Studies suggest that 10%-20% of patients may experience white-coat syndrome. The cause of the syndrome is unclear but may be a conditioning phenomenon -- the anxiety of early visits to the physician's office is "learned" and subconsciously repeated during subsequent visits.

Here is an information link on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_coat_syndrome

And this site has really good information on how to get rid of it:
http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/health/how-to-get-rid-of-white-coat-syndrome/

If your doctor is comfortable prescribing a short acting sublingual anti anxiety medication that you can take prior to the visit, it will usually prevent your anxiety escalating into a panic attack during the visit. You just let it disolve under your tongue and it relaxes you very quickly. You'd be surprised at how many people do this!

If you'd found helpful information in this post, please click Accept. Any feedback you can leave would be appreciated. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there any thing more that i can do to make me relax. I am always so nervous and that makes me very uncomfortable.
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
Hey Charmer,
It's good to hear back from you. There are many things you can do to relax and reduce your nervousness, the most important of those is the belief that you can impact this problem, and are willing to work at it. Feeling like you have some control over your life is essential, and starting a project to end the pain that anxiety has brought to you is a great step in that direction.

The Mayo Clinic has brought together experts who've written a short, very clear article on the best techniques to change your stress & anxiety without medicine. If you read it and follow even one of the suggestions, you'll start to feel better.   The more you do, the better you'll feel.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/relaxation-technique/SR00007

Besides doing these techniques alone, you can work with your psychiatrist on finding a good medication regimen that will support your efforts. There are many good medicines out there now that they can help you battle General Anxiety Disorder, as well as the White Coat Syndrome.

You're on the right path to changing your life by recognizing you have a problem and realizing you don't need to suffer the pain of it anymore. Good luck on your journey, and if you have any other questions, you can direct them to me if you'd like.

Please click Accept if you've found any helpful information in this post. Any feedback you can provide would be very helpful to me. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there any vitamins or supplements that i can take that will help or any form of exercise that will help also or anything at all besides take precribed drugs.
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
Hey charmer,
The last two links I posted have non-medine based solutions that you can try. Exercise always helps, but it doesn't have to be anything special. I don't know anything about vitamins, other than I take a generic multi-vitamin each day! :)

Good luck in your journey! If you have any further questions, you can direct them to me if you'd like, but I think I've given you what I can on this one. If you feel your original question still isn't answered, let me know and I can opt out so that another expert can give you the help you desire.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have not accepted because i think that i need to hear from another therapist.
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
OK, I'll opt out so that your question will open up to other therapists who might be able to help you in a way that works better for you.
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 5 years ago.
Hi and welcome,
Whether you are panic stricken by your trips to the doctor or have regular panic attacks you can try the following at any time and you will see improvement.....
There are some exercises that you can practice that will make you feel better IF you keep doing them. First, breathing....when you are having a panic attack you brain is getting the message that it better gear up for an "attack" and releases hormones to help, that is why your heart races and blood pressure rises. You are probably not taking regular breaths, you may be holding your breath and not realizing it...so if you start to feel the panic coming....focus on taking some deep breaths, counting as you breath in through your nose, 1,2,3,4, hold it for a count of 4 and then SLOWLY exhale through your mouth, again counting 1,2,3,4, repeat this until you feel better. How and why does this work? Our brain receives the message that panic is coming, in our days as "cave men" it served the purpose of getting us ready to battle whatever was facing us...our brain hasn't changed that much and this fight or flight response is triggered by panic. When we take long deep breaths, regulated breathing, in and out, slow and easy....our brain is receiving another message that says, oh, no danger out there and the hormones that would be released during stress aren't released and panic abates. This is only one technique you can use anywhere. Yoga, meditation, relaxation CD's, guided imagery can all help without the use of medication. You say you are always nervous, if you make the time available for you to practice breathing on a regular basis as well as some of the other techniques I have suggested you will feel better. You can also use a technique for your nervousness called "self talk" ..some peopletend to have automatic thoughts going through our heads, that is, thoughts that are usually negative, worrisome thoughts and "what ifs"...if you consciously recognize that these thoughts are there you can actually tell yourself to "stop" that thought and think of something positive or peaceful...that is where a lot of visualization is helpful....There are a lot of things you can do on your own but if you are having difficulty after using all the above techniques maybe a short course of medication may be needed. As far as herbs are concerned, try some of the teas that are available. Valerian root tea is one to try. So, before you are scheduled for your doctor's appointment, try the breathing exercises on your way there and in the office...after awhile it will become automatic ....and talk to youself using positive statements, like, this is okay, I'm good to myself by taking the time to see the doctor etc....remember to keep your breathing even and slow. Do is as often as needed.
I hope this is helpful.
Dr. Keane
I am available for followup, please click accept when youare satisfied.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
where can i purchase any relaxation cd's
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 5 years ago.
Hi, you can find them online.....you live in Barbados and I am not familiar with the stores you have there. If there are any spas in your area I would call and ask them if they have a source for you to try. Most spas only use music relaxation cd's , but they have to get them somewhere, they may even sell them in their gift shops...there is a web site called brainsync.com that has a lot of cd's.... some of them can be dowloaded from their web site. I use this site for my patients. They have a number of different types of cd's but what you want is one for relaxation and there are "guided imagery" cds that are good. I would first ask if they ship to your country, they probably will.
In the meantime, practice the breathing techniques and thought stopping techniques I mentioned earlier. They will help you right now.
Let me know how you make out okay?
Dr. Keane
Please click accept if you are satisfied and leave feedback. Thank you.