Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

Hi, Im tapering diazepam, currently down to 16mg from 30mg

Hi, I'm tapering diazepam, currently down to 16mg from 30mg & i've started taking 300mg pregabalin twice daily for my GAD, Panic & agoraphobia. I take 45mg mirtazapine & 4mg risperidone and they deal with my BPD symptoms. I take 72mg of Concerta for ADHD but am changing to Dexedrine. I have taken amphetamine before with no problems but is there anything I should know about the Dexedrine?

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, Dexidrine is a dextro amphetamine , used as a psychostimulant in THE treatment of ADHD , and is a fairly safe drug to be used , but it too has some side effects and contraindications. You shall start on Dexedrine , without any worry , but keep in mind the below mentioned points .

1) If you have hypertension ( increased blood pressure ) or any other heart problem , then you shall not use this drug as it has a tendency to increase bLOOD PRESSURE , incraese heart beat or an alternative would be to adjust the dose in such a way that it does not effect the pre - existing heart condition.

2) Like other amphetamines , dexedrine has a potential for ABUSE AND DEPENDENCE , SO DO NOT SELF MEDICATE WITHOUT THE DOCTOR 'S ADVISE.

3) Do not abruptly stop this drug , if you start having any side effects , you need to taper it slowly before stopping it , in order to prevent distressing withdrawl symptoms .

4) It is not to be used with anti depressants such as Tricyclics ( TCA s ) or MAO inhibitors due to the possibility of harmful interactions .

As of now , LOOKING AT YOUR PRESENT REGIME and past safe history for use of amphetamines , i will suggest that you go ahead with the use of Dexedrine without any worry.

I am mentioning below a link which will throw more light on the use of Dexedrine and precautions one needs to take.

http://www.rxlist.com/dexedrine-drug.htm

i hope this helps...

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Regards...