Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt
19260254

I am atteding a psychologist for CBT for depression which he

I am attending a psychologist for CBT for depression which he says is caused by my social anxiety and avoidant personality. At the last session he asked me to close my eyes while he called out various words. Afterward he asked me to say what I thought of after each word. They were " Apple, Bicycle, Wind, Wonderful, Shopping (a major anxiety for me), Husband, Anxiety, and Happiness". I was able to make an association for each word, like a feeling or a picture except "Wonderful" or "Happiness". For these I just got nothing. I'm wondering what the significance is of this test and why did I not get a reaction to these words, is it to do with my depression- which by the way is mostly under control. I am on 225 effexor. Thank you.

Good evening,

How intriguing that a CBT therapist had applied the association test (this is more common in depth psychology)

The word association test is only one way to trigger spontaneous responses from the psyche. The words wonderful or happiness may have not triggered a response in you if at the present moment you feel depressed or anxious (it does not imply that you are a person void of happiness or the ability to experience joy or happiness)

When people are depressed they can experience a sense of anhedonia (the inability to enjoy things that they used to enjoy or experience pleasurable feelings) Of course, everything is temporary in life so is this occurence.

Medications as well as counseling are a way of dealing with the depression which, you're already doing.