Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

i tapered off zoloft and was finally totally off the medication

i tapered off zoloft and was finally totally off the medication six weeks ago; last week I had my first panic attacck in 12 yeras. I restarted the Zoloft and the dr gave me xanax to deal w/ the panic until it kicks in; how long do you think it will be
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 7 years ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, i must say that your doctor has rightly started you on such a combination of 1 SSRI anti depressant -- Zoloft ( sertraline ) and 1 anti anxiety benzodazepine drug -- xanax ( alprazolam ) , this combination will surely get your panic attacks controlled , but like all the psychotropic medications , these two need around roughly 2-3 weeks to get to the full action in the body , so the best result of control will be shown after 2-3 weeks of starting these medications , however after the first 1 week, you will start feeling a bit better , but i must tell you that , just wait for another 2 weeks or so and then you will be on course with good control over your panic acttack condition.

I hope this helps ..

I wish you all the best and rapid recovery .

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied wth the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my concern is that she prescribed xanax .5 t.i.d., is this okay for a few weeks? I don't want to get addicted. But I do need it to take the edge off.

Well, 0.5 mg of xanax , tid ,is a very moderate dosage , and will not make you addicted to it , plus , after a weeks , your doctor shall slowly taper it , before completely stopping it , and such a slow withdrawl technique leads to a safe withdrawl , with no chances of addiction ,so do not worry , and just continue on the regime , this xanax dose is very reasonable , and will suit you just fine in dealing with panicity , without posing any threat for addiction.

I hope this helps..