Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.
14727623

I am a 33 year old female, an am quite over weight and depressed.

I am a 33 year old female, an am quite over weight and depressed. I have seen a psychiatrist and he prescibed Cipralex which I took for 10 months. I gained even more weight and felt neither happy or sad - just numb which I did not like either. I desperately want to lose 12 kgs but I have such inner conflict and feel like I don't deserve to look good.... What can I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Norman M. replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer- let's look at the Cipralex issue first of all. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence from anti-depressant users to the effect that they gained weight while on antidepressant medication. Just why that happens, no one seems to know, but just perhaps, as the anti depressant works, appetite in some cases is restored and weight gain results.

You might want to have a word with your Doctor to see if he would consider prescribing Wellbutrin - which would probably help with your depression and have the side effect (reported widely) of reducing your appetite and causing weight loss.

The other side of the coin is the issue of why you feel you don't deserve to look good -
the fact is the everybody deserves to look good, but often, there are subconscious reasons for people failing to accept this. It's not uncommon for women to think "If I look good, I'll get more male attention, and I don't want that" or I'f I look good, I might NOT get anymore male attention, and I couldn't handle that!" - two opposite ends of a spectrum.

Really, though, if you do decide to lose the excess weight, you will not only look better, you'll feel better, fitter and more confident in everything you do. So how to do it?

Check out your lifestyle and diet - make sure you eat well, drink plenty of fluids and get enough exercise. The exercise not only helps you loose weight, but also releases endorphins into your bloodstream to help you feel good about it. So - diet and exercise is part of the answer.

The other part is maybe to talk to a counsellor about your concerns about losing that extra weight, so you can really adjust to the idea.
Customer- you deserve to be your best - just as much as anybody, so please - go for it.

Best regards,
Norman.