Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.
14727623

ive had depression for 7 years and i dont feel any better

i've had depression for 7 years and i dont feel any better for taking tablets. my dad has manic depression and sycsofrena. am i ever going to be happy?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Norman M. replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer- thanks for visiting.

You don't say how long you have been taking Cymbalta, but if its for more than about 2 months, and you don't feel any improvement, I suggest you ask your prescriber to consider changing it. Cymbalta is in some ways quite controversial - the theory behind it - that it inhibits reuptake of not only serotonin but norepinephrine as well (two of the major 'mood' chemicals in your brain), but in practice, it does not seem to work out for some people. Indeed one review ( "Duloxetine: new indication. Depression and diabetic neuropathy: too many adverse effects". Prescrire Int 15 (85): 168–72. October 2006.) suggested it had no place in the treatment of depression

If you are one of those, your Doc could prescribe a simple SSRI anti depressant, which might well help.

However, drugs alone are not the only answer to depression. The National Institutes for Clinical Excellence in the UK are of the view that medication combined with Cognitive Behavioural therapy together is the most effective approach, and I strongly suggest you ask your GP about that.

I hope this has been some help.

Best regards,
Norman.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

well over 2 months. my doc has given lots of different medicine over the years but nothing quit cuts it. im so close to given up. every night i go to sleep dreaming i was a better person. only thing holding me on at the moment is my daughter.

i've seen my dad go through the worst of it and i dont think i that strong.

Expert:  Norman M. replied 7 years ago.
Time to change, then, I think.

You have come this far, and you CAN get through it. It's not the same as your Dad had, you know, and your daughter is lucky to have you.

If thais has been going on for such a long time now, you should be asking your Doctor for a psychiatric evaluation to make sure you are getting the best treatment available.

Regards,
Norman.