Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.

Hello, I feel like I desperately need help and advice. I

Hello, I feel like I desperately need help and advice.

I am a 36 year old female working in london. My job is one of high stress as I hold a position in retail packaging development for a leading iretailer.

I was given anti depressants at the start of 2006 when I had what I would describe as my first mental breakdown after my marriage ended. I am still on the antidepressants although they have changed. Initially I was put on 20mg lilly fluoxitine and then 40mg. This gave me headaches. GP put me on citalopram 20mg.

Due to too many factors to list in this small space. I have had another breakdown (probably my 3rd or so). I have been signed off for now 6 weeks. GP has upped dose to 40mg. I am concerned that I haven't seen a psychiatrist and my problem in my head is not getting better. Last week I thought I was okay to return but this week I feel to anxious with not enough having changed. and fear that this will repeat. Can you help please.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Norman M. replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer- thanks for visiting.

A couple of things come to mind - firstly, that your medication needs a re-evaluation, and secondly, you would probably benefit from a psychiatric consultation.

I suggest you hold off on the pregnancy just yet until you are fully stabilised - your body has enough to cope with just now without an added hormone storm.

Frankly, your GP is NOT in a position to say whether or not a psychiatrist can help you - the only person who can decide that is the psychiatrist himself. So ask for a psychiatric referral, and if your GP refuses, ask for a second opinion immediately. You are quite entitled to do so. It looks as if any faith you had in your GP has been eroded, and in your place, I would seriously consider changing my GP

You don't say what kind of therapy you are having, but the therapy of choice for depression (together with medication) is without doubt cognitive behavioural therapy - if you are not already in that regime, I suggest you arrange it. If you are, stick with it, because it will help in the end.

Finally, just tell your GP that you cannot find it in yourself to go back to work today if that is how you feel. If he refuses to sign you off, get that second opinion!!

Do not despair, you CAN get better.

Hope this has helped,
Best regards,