Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  Specialist is sports medicine psychology. Certified in yoga, relaxation techniques and meditation.
5625079

My grandchild is 6 years old (7 in August) and weighs 41 pounds.

My grandchild is 6 years old (7 in August) and weighs 41 pounds. She takes 0.75 MG of Risperidone (1 and 1/2 tablets) and 1 Focalin XR 20 MG capsule daily as well as a OTC claritin tablet. This seems like a lot of medicine of such a little girl to take daily. She had a terrible year in school last year which led to the medication. She is staying with me for the summer. My concern is that the medicine was prescribed by 2 different doctors and filled at 2 different pharmacies. Could you please tell if my concerns are well founded or if I am just being a silly grandmother.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 years ago.

Greetings.

The dosage prescribed to your grandchild are safe and these doses are not higher than the usual prescribed doses. They do not have significant known drug interaction.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun