Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  Specialist is sports medicine psychology. Certified in yoga, relaxation techniques and meditation.

since october of 2008 i have been going through what is intense,

since october of 2008 i have been going through what is intense, crippling pain all over my body. it started in my legs where it swelled and turned into intense pains it seems to come in attacks and last maybe about 2 weeks then it subsides. i have a friend who is a administrator in a hospital in manhattan and he said it sounds like fibromyalgia contributed from deppression but i dont feel as tho i am deppressed. im 24 and i have a 3 yr old. i have as much stress and the next young parent but i dont feel deppressed. if anything, when the pain gets intense and i keep getting sent to this doctor and that doctor and not knowing whats going on that stresses me and depresses me but it doesnt last but for so long. the only thing that i get sad about sometimes is wanting love and wanting to have a real family but it's not to the point where im like that everyday so i dont see myself as being deppressed. im not sure if i believe him, any insight on this?

Following can be considered for your symptoms;

1) Fibromyalgia

2) Neuropathy

3) Chronic fatigue syndrome

The fibromyalgia does not necessarily always associated with the depression. Stress can be a factor associated with it though many people do not have much stress too.

With your vastly distributed symptoms and severity of the pain, polyneuropathy should be the diagnostic consideration. Following investigations should be done by your primary care physician or a neurologist;

1) Electromyography/nerve conduction studies (EMG/NCS)

2) MRI of the spine and brain

3) blood glucose, glucose tolerance test and glycosylated hemoglobin

4) serum B12 level with methylmalonic acid (with or without homocysteine),

5) serum protein electrophoresis

6) Anti-nuclear antibody

7) Lyme testing

8) Rheumatoid factor

9) Sjogren's syndrome testing (Anti-Ro, Anti-La Antibodies)

Skin and nerve biopsy are recommended after the results of these investigations.

This should give the diagnosis and guidelines for the management.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you..i feel like you have given me the best answer out of everyone. 2 of those test have been done just waiting on results and i do hav a rash when its active (the pain) then once it is totally gone it dissapears. do u think that could be related...2 of the doctors dismissed it

This can be related, though personal examination is the only way to confirm it.

Best wishes and kindest regards.

Dr. Arun