Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt

i am currently taking olanzapine - zyprexa, 20mg, fluoxetine,

Customer Question

i am currently taking olanzapine - zyprexa, 20mg, fluoxetine, 20mg to control psychotic tendencies and depression but I am still experiencing mental aggresion and conflict in accepting truths from 'close' people. I am coherent in day to day situations but can not evaluate on a normal level. I feel the need to over analyis and criticise although not orally.

I have spent a lot of time searching disorders on the internet and have come to the conclusion that I have some kind of Bipolar And OCD combination.

I am a relatively intelligent person and can quite understand the stigma around announcing a mental illness. I accept that i am unwell but refuse to accept that my true diagnosis has been decided. I am of limited funds and would hope that some kind of mutual benefit might arise from a continued communication.

My general practictioner and psychiatrist although very professional have not offered the professional interaction I do not feel I have had before.

i am in the uk.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 7 years ago.

Good Evening (but in the UK is good morning)

You are mentioning several things here in your post. The ones that stick out to me-

1. The issue of being critical or over analyzing,(feel the need to over analysis and criticize although not orally"
  2. your level of functioning due to the disorder and possible meds (I am coherent in day to day situations but can not evaluate on a normal level.")
  3. your belief that "my true diagnosis has been decided"

Anyone may be critical of others w/o the existence of underlying mental health diagnosis. If when this occurs to the extent that interferes with your daily functioning or interactions with others it may be helpful to acknowledge that one's high expectations, perfectionism and the tendency to over analyze can be minimized. Yes, medications can help with compulsions or obsessiveness as well as with learning techniques to help oneself. Examples - cognitive techniques, realizing that no matter what feedback you receive from others (you will always perceive it subjectively) If some of those people this occurs with are in your immediate family (see if you or they may be interested in a short term family counseling)

Your meds are in the SSRI category (serotonin re uptake inhibitors) If you have a true Bipolar disorder (SSRIs in some instances can trigger a manic episode) Have you shared your concern with your doc about your belief that you may be Bipolar? Of course, the physician will have to diagnose that (if you're unhappy with the diagnosis you in now way have to accept this. There is the option of a second opinion. Does Bipolar run in your family? That is one of the things to report to your doc.

Please find a way to be re-evaluated by a physician (if the diagnosis is the same) at least you would have something to work with.

Another suggestion is- if you feel that the meds are not helpful (doctors always can change, modify dosages or try something else)