Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt

My son is 11-will be 12 in a few weeks He has aspergers but

My son is 11-will be 12 in a few weeks He has aspergers but has never been on medication. Actually he was pretty high functioning until March when he began hearing voices. He was hospitalized for 10 days and partial hops program for add'l 10 days. He was put on risperdal 4 mgs. when he completed . His follow up Dr thought 4 mgs was too much. We tried 2mg and lexapro- did not work. He was more aggressive and more episodes. We tried 3 mgs of rispral-still hearing voices. He is now on seroquel XR. He just started last week. started with 50 mg-now on 300 mg. he seems to be better. Should we try something else. I have read that Seroquel XR is not approved for children under 18. He is good when he is not hearing the voices. It seems like the 4 mg of risp kept the voices down but he seemed like he was depressed. On the seroquel, He seems more like his old self before the psychotic episode in March. What should we do?

Dear concerned parent,

what is the other mental health (co occurring disorder that your son had been diagnosed with?) Auditory hallucinations are not one of the criteria used in Asperger's Disorder.

Was he on the medication when the hallucinations occurred or was this post the medication (I am not clear)

Has he ever been evaluated for Fragile X ? (not a behavioral disorder); (this is a very costly exam though not generally covered by medical insurance) but it could mimic symptoms of Asperger's that is why I am asking.

What I would suggest is to have him re-evaluated by a pediatric psychiatrist.

Lexapro is an antidepressant and seroquil is used in cases to control psychosis (some times psychosis occurs during a depressed episode)

These are are my thoughs on this so far. I strongly suggest if he has not been evaluated by a pediatric psychiatrist to have him evaluated (if he has, to seek a second opinion).

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The diagnosis was anxiety disorder. The hallucinations were visual and auditory. His diagnosis is high functioning autism since age 5. His behavior seems consistant with AS, but I don't think he was ever assessed for Fragile X. No medication prior to presence of hallucinations. He told us he heard voices in 5th grade but they went away. His psychiatrist treats children and adults but I guess she is not a pediatric psychiatrist. She wants to refer us to a neropscychologist to see if ths is "organic" He is really tormented when he hears the voices. He pounds on the wall and screams, and he tris to fight off the voices. He swings and knock things over; then he cries. He so wnats this to go away. It is very very stressful. We just want him to get the best treatment to recover and really find out what is going on.

Yes, please consult with the neurologist and if possible a pediatric psychiatrist.

*The disorders of Anxiety, Aspergers, Autism do not have hallucinations in their symtomology (diagnostic criteria) - It seems that something else is triggering his hallucinations.

What would be of importance is to notice the frequency of occurence (is this daily?) or sporadic?

Hallucinations can occur in individuals w/ a diagnosis of major depressive disorder (but you did not mention this diagnosis to have been given to him) So, yes please, see what the neurologist or the CAT scan will show