Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

hello my wife has just had a major mood swing and is asking

Customer Question

hello
my wife has just had a major mood swing and is asking me to leave
two weeks ago she was happy, she is not seeing another person ,but her personality
has completley changed
very sharp, cold ,uncaring, appears to get joy from the pain she is causing ,tearful
i have mentioned help and she says i have the problem.
two weeks ago she was saying i love you and thing s where genuinley good between us
now she will not even hold my hand, when i explain the pain she is causing she starts to
laugh she is 42 and of good health other wise
we have had no recient events to pin point
we have been together from 17 ,25 years is there a posible mental helth condition
i am at the end of my wits and starting to feel depressed
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anjali replied 7 years ago.
Hello Dear

I know this is really a difficult situation for you to handle .

Some of the causes for sudden cahnge in personality are anxiety,depression,stroke, premenstrual syndrome,alzheimers disease,or brain tumor.

You should take her to a psychiatrist as it is very important to have a physical and psychiatric evaluation.

Hope this helps .
Best of luck.

Kindly press ACCEPT if your question has been answered. I get paid only when you press ACCEPT, otherwise your deposit remains with the site.
FEEDBACK & BONUS is appreciated.
_______________________________________
Please note that the information provided is not a substitute to medical advice.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

no sorry this is of no help

i understand the problem is broad for you to understand

but your answer dose not help and she will not seek help

i guess i was hoping for somthing more specificto mental heath

women of 42 or relating to case studies of similar then a list

of medical terms when she has no phisical signs

sorry but i am at my wits end and i dont even know if it is common

Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
Customer

Is there any history of bipolar disorder or mania with her or her family members?
Here is a link with the sypmtoms of hypomania, which is a lesser version of what is commonly called mania or manic behavior.
http://www.depression-guide.com/hypomania.htm
Some of what you're talking about is clearly within this group of disorders, and I think you'll start to find a range of what you're dealing with there.

The biggest problem is that you're saying she refuses any help. If that is an absolute, then you need to create some mental distance between her and you untill this passes. But, often when a person is shown a sympXXXXX XXXXXst and they find themselves right there on the page, it can break some of the denial. It also brings the hope that this is a defined issue with a solution.

You are in pain, and she is also. Give her the hope that this can be resolved. Talk to your doctor. Try to get her to go to her OB/GYNE...that is a sideways entry back into medical help. If she is bipolar, medication can bring her (and your life) back into normal pretty quickly.

If you've found advice in this post, please click Accept. Thank you.
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience: Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.