Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

I had been taking percocet for severe scoliosis as prescribed

I had been taking percocet for severe scoliosis as prescribed by my doctor. After a while the number of tablets escalated and I knew that I had to quit. I couldn't taper, so I stupidly chose the route of suboxone. I stayed on the smallest dose of that...less than a milligram a day...and still had impossible anxiety...I couldn't stop. I used percocet to stop the suboxone I only stayed on the percocet for about 10 days, and tapered to one pill for the last two days...i've been off of the suboxone for 20 days and the percocet for 5. I'm still feeling very sad and anxious...when can I expect this to dissipate? I don't want to be on the medications anymore...I just want to feel ok in my own skin again...

Thank you
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
Dreamingoutloud,
First, let me say Whoooo Hoooooo! to you for quitting! Narcotics are sooooooooo hard to get off, and it sounds like you've been doing the home verstion of detox. It's amazing that you've been able to get this far! Rarely do people make it through the intense cravings and emotional turmoil, and then there is the extreme anxiety that withdrawl itself produces. Good for you!

You are not alone in your struggle. Many people are going through and have gone through what you're facing, and you would do well to connect with them for mutual support. Have you tried Narcotics Anonymous? They have free meetings all over, a great website, and there are many online support meetings through different recovery sites. To go to a real life or online NA meeting, all you do is look for one called Open. Closed meetings are for those who have a desire to quit using, so you qualify for both open and closed meetings.

In the addiction recovery areas, the focus is not how or why you got hooked...it's on support through the life you're trying to live right now. Prescription addiction withdrawl and illegal drug or alcohol withdrawl and recovery all look the same, and it isn't the focus of the support groups.

Take it one hour or one day at a time, find some books on recovery, and hook up with support online or in real life. You're making a big chemical change in your brain, and it takes time for your body to heal and re-start.

Tough times seem to be at the 3,6 & 9 month mark. It's called PAWS (post acute withdrawl syndrome), so be aware if it all lets up and then you feel pulled back. All of it will pass, and you can be free.

Let me know if I can be of further help. I've worked in the addictions field for 27 years, and love it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>Hi Anna--</p><p> </p><p>Thank you so much for your encouragement and thoughts. I have been thinking of attending and NA meeting or at least checking it out online.I've been trying to read everything that I could find online about addiction and withdrawal. I'd really like to know how long I can expect it to be until I feel like myself again, though. The first couple of days went pretty well...but day and three and four were very anxiety ridden and today, day five I feel so sad. Will it start looking up soon? I'm usually a very upbeat, happy person...</p><p>Thank you so much for your time...</p><p> </p><p>Dream...</p>
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
Day 5 is the bad one for the emotions...sorry! People are usually just exhausted at day 6, and then you recover enough to not feel so great on day 7, and then....you'll see the sun start to rise. You'll feel sparkles of yourself rising up inside of you...you'll start to feel human.

In the Rooms is something you can do right now and get support. (and distraction!!)

http://www.intherooms.com/?id=YSSaddiction

and then to find an NA meeting, check out:
http://www.na.org/
There is nothing like being in a room of people who know EXACTLY what you're feeling, and it's so wonderful to be known and not judged. There is a funny/not so funny saying in NA..."An addict alone is in bad company".

Most addicts are happy, sensitive and creative people. Removing the veil of addiction brings all that back to the front in no time. You can do this and have your very own life back in a short amount of time. Just keep at it. Drop the shame and get free. You're worth it!

If you've found advice in this post, please click Accept, and if you can provide feedback, I'd appreciate your help. Thank you. If you have other questions, you can post them to my attention any time.
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience: Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.