Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

does PTSD mimic schizoaffective disorder My husband fits all

does PTSD mimic schizoaffective disorder? My husband fits all the criteria for PTSD, his refusal to speak about the trauma he experienced in Vietnam led to his being diagnosed w/ SD, CD as well as paranoia. Treatment for this MH condition has failed while EMDR has offered relief. Doctors continue to pen SD etc. as it lets the VA off the hook for increased compensation - he is a combat wounded vet and receives 20% - 10 of which the VA admits is PTSD due to undenable trauma exposure.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 7 years ago.

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, PTSD is a type of anxiety disorder ( neurotic disorder ), while schizoaffective disorder ( psychotic dsorder ) is a mixed state comprising of schizophrenic symptoms as well as mood symptoms such as depression or mania or both . Since in a PTSD a person may show signs of depression , which at times may muddle the clinical picture , but on thorough evaluation by a psychiatrist , schizophrenic symptoms will be elicited and this will rule out the diagnosis of pure PTSD . However , the two conditions may co- exist .

So, although pure PTSD will not mimic Schizoaffective disorder , but the two conditions can very well be there in your husband , possibly schizoaffective disorder preceeding the PTSD , or PTSD converting a previous Schizophrenic diagnosis to schizoaffective diagnosis, because the addition of mood symptoms such as depression and paranoia .

So, to summarize , the two conditions -- PTSD and Schizoaffective disorder can co exist with each other , and possibly be present in your husband , which in turn is probably confusng the diagnosis , so what is required here is that , a psychiatrist needs to diagnose a pure PTSD and rule out schizoaffective disorder , so that your husband can get the suitable compensation .

I hope this helps . If you want to ask other related questions , you are most welcome to ask .

I wish you all the best.

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.