Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.

I came off Nardil 1-1/2 years ago after being on the drug since

I came off Nardil 1-1/2 years ago after being on the drug since 1975 without too many issues. Since then I have tried Effexor, Celexa,Remeron,Cymbalta, and in each case after about 3 months the panic attacks return. Should I go back on Nardil or are there others yet I should try? I am 58 yrs old.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.

Lets see if we can figure this out. Why did you come off the Nardil after 33 years?

Have you used any of the short acting anti-anxiety medications along with your anti-depressants before?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I came off the Nardil as my new psych. had some concerns about the dietary and health concerns it carries and me being in my 50's. And now there are some many more meds available than when I was first diagnosed in the 70's. The only other type of medication that I used with the Nardil was ativan, diazepam. Sublingual ativan for panic attacks which seemed to work.
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
OK, that makes lots of sense. The Nardil is a MOA- class drug, and there are better ones with so many fewer side effects now.

What I think you might ask for is to be on one of the anti-depressant medications that gave you the best side-effect profile, and then take the sublingual Ativan for break-through panic. It's short acting and provides quick relief, as well as being tolerated well. If you have a positive history with it, all the better.

Perhaps your new physician was trying to see if one of the SSRIs or SSNRIs would take care of the panic on it's own, as it often does. It sounds like once your system got used to handling the new drugs, the anxiety broke through again.

Keep working at a solution and don't give up: panic can rob you of your life, and no one deserves that.

If you've found advice in this post, please click Accept. Any feedback you can leave will be valuable to me. Thank you!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Sorry I had not accepted sooner, but was feeling as if you didn't really respond to my original question as to whether I should go back to Nardil or not. There is so much controversy when I google Nardil, and have seen quite a few people even these days who are going on it due to non effective results from the newer meds. I have since spoken to my daughters who agree that it would be better to switch psychiatrists before I decide about the medications. Perhaps what I need most is someone who is a good listener instead of a pill pusher to assist me in my journey to find peace from this malady. Thanks for your help anyway.