Nancy
Nancy, Psychotherapist
Experience:  ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years
16724211

is there any permanent dopamine damage from taking percocet

is there any permanent dopamine damage from taking percocet for an extended period of time (7 months straight, max of 75 mg a day for 2-3 months, b4 i was taking 35-40 mg max a day) i was taking them before that every so often, like 1 or so every week. I started weaning down, as of April 4th 2009, I have been clean, today is June 23rd and I Do not think about the percocet at all. I want to be back to my old self but i was reading that the pleasure part of the brain can be damaged and may not go back to normal. i just want some reassurance that my brain will go back to normal, any advice? Facts about me, When I was younger, from the ages of i'd say 10 - 17, I had OCD and had rituals, etc, I got over that myself when I was 17. When I was 17 I kissed a girl and found out she was raped and I thought I had aids for the next 7 yrs even tho I never had sex before, and I fixated on that, and now I keep thinking to myself "Im going to be fine" over and over again,and my psych thinks its anxiety

I see you've asked this question a few times and have consistently received the same answer - that there isno permanent damage from taking percocet.

I'd like to suggest though, that you make an appointment and see a Psychiatrist. I think this is really bothering you and when we have a persistent thought that returns over and over, sometimes there is a psychiatric reason for that.

Nancy

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I went to the Psychiatrist, he doesnt want to raise my dosage until after the wedding, hes saying its anxiety, but he does psychoanalysis.

I would suggest getting a consult from another psychiatrist - clearly you need something else....

Nancy

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
its 3 weeks until someone else can take me, and on monday i leave to hawaii!

I would keep looking for someone who can help - or increase your Lexapro to 20 mgs. But when you get back - I'd talk with someone about adding another medication if the increase doesn't help.

Nancy

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I heard i shouldnt increase without my docs consult, and to start with 15 mg per day and go up, but you honestly don't think i did any damage? because when i constantly think about it, i don't want to talk to anybody, its hard to concentrate because i keep questioning "im going to be okay", etc

Yes, you can titrate up that way - and I am not sure if it will help - it may, but when you get back, you really need to speak with your psychiatrist about adding another medication for this obsessional thinking - I think your OCD is returning.

And, you did not do any damage with the percocet. It does not cause damage - so you can stop worrying about that.

Nancy :-)

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I wish i could stop worrying about it!!!! is it OCD if i keep thinking "i'm going to be okay" but not the same ocd i had when i was younger where it was like, if i don't do this, something bad will happen. And since I'm worried about the percocet damage can the anxiety be attributed to me thinking "Do i really find that funny", "Do i really like doing this", etc, "Do i love them" Because i keep worrying about the reward system and i read on wikipedia, the reward system / dopamine all has to do with pleasure, etc. and I read you can fall out of love while on lexapro, but like i said i read it on some random message board, but the readings stick with me

Stop reading those sites.... any *worrysome* thought that repeats itself over and over could be considered part of that obsessional thinking.

You whole thought process is involved. ANd when that happens - you have to take medication that deals directly with that. The lexapro might help - but something like Anafrinil will deal more directly with that.....

Nancy

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What is that? My fiance takes Zoloft, but the higher dose for ocd and buspar for anxiety, but you think with the right medication and therapy, i can be fine, right? do you have any good Cognative Behavioral therapy tips, like coping mechanisms i can use?

Anafrinial is a medication used to treat OCD.

I do think that with the right medication and therapy you will be fine.

Tips: because OCD is a brain chemical problem- this may or may not work - if it doesn't work, don't worry, being on the right medication is more important in making the thoughts go away.

Use STOP techniques - when you have a thought that recurs - think of a huge STOP sign and tell youself - STOP. Then deliberately think of something else - pick the something else before hand, and just concentrate on that.

Nancy

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Anything else? that sounds pretty good!
No, just try that for now :-)
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will def try that, the 10 mg of lexapro help[ed me stop biting my cuticles tho, which i used to bite to a pulp.

That's great!!!

Remember - progress, not perfection!

Nancy

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
its funny though after i speak with my psychiatrist, i feel better for a little while, why is that?

Because we get to focus on ourself for a little while, we get some perspective and feel hope!

Nancy

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Nancy, it doesn't matter that I was taking the dosages I listed every day for that period of time? I broke it down as best as I can above, thanks
No, it doesn't cause permanant damage.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Its so weird, yesterday I felt a bit better, still thinking about it but not as much and I was much more upbeat. I guess there are triggers, hopefully after the wedding ill feel less anxious. Can I be anxious about the wedding, honeymoon without even realizing it or thinking of it but still feel it? Thanks :)

ABSOLUTELY! That's what stress is all about - we have pressures that build up, and build up and the slightest litle thing can trigger us to explode - andit's not really about that one little thing- it's about all the other things that have built up that we didn't "see".

GREAT observation on your part!!!

Nancy :-)

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes but I don't blow up, can it be underlying and manifesting itself in the thoughts I've been having?

I know - I was talking about stress in general.

For you, you think about it over and over.

Nancy

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So you think ill be fine right? Lol

YES! Just do what we've talked about- increase the meds, and talk to your MD about getting Anafrinil.

Nancy

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well first I think I can try the higher dose of lexapro right?
Right, but that won't address the thinking about things over and over.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Zoloft works wonders for my fiances ocd!
Zoloft doesn't address biochemical OCD though!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Btw why does my mood grt better as the day goes on? Should I be taking the lexapro in the am or pm?

Your mood could get better during the day for a number of reasons - your circadian rhythm, your medication, blood sugar levels, and so on....

Medication is prescribed based upon your individual symptoms - so just take it when it works best for you - or when your doctor says to take it.

Nancy