MasterDoc
MasterDoc, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency physician for 20 years treating many psychiatric patients
3119816

if you have been taking 4 oxycodone perday for several months

if you have been taking 4 oxycodone perday for several months post surgery would you taper this med or try suboxone for easier withdrawal
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 7 years ago.
The vast majority of people who take oxycodone at the dose you describe and for the duration you describe are able to be tapered off the drug. I would NOT advice use of suboxone in your case. Talk to your MD about tapering it out rather than take suboxone.
Please click ACCEPT.
Feel free to ask a follow-up question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i have two questions - I'm in the field psychologist- my husband is a cardilogist but we are not experts in this area - but understand the language-how does dose and legnth of time factor into your answer? are we talking behavioral patterns or brain neurotransmitters, and please explain why not suboxone- is it just another addiction-
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 7 years ago.
The severity of symptoms and difficulty associated with withdrawing from a prescribed narcotic is variable based on a large number of factors. One is the length of use, another is the level used. In general, narcotics prescribed for a legitimate medical usage are easier to stop than those used recreationally. The problem with suboxone is that which you described; it is basically substituting one addicting drug for another. While extremely useful as a well controlled, legal alternative to heroin, it is NOT a habit I would urge you to acquire before you attempt a medically supervised detoxification. THe discomfort you go through will likely be substantial but it not overwhelming. Certain meds such as clonidine or a benzodiazepam help many patients.
Please click ACCEPT.
And a BONUS is always appreciated.