Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.

I have had suffered panic attacks and anxiety on and off for

I have had suffered panic attacks and anxiety on and off for 20 years. The panic attacks usually only last for a few weeks to a month and with some help they are gone as quickly as they come about. However, I have now been experiencing panic disorder for the last 4 months. My symptoms keep changing and the panic attacks occur when I focus on the physical sensations. I have had a physical and have an appointment to see a therapist next week. My newest sympton however has me concerned. I have been woken up at 3-4 in the morning 2 times this week by a tingling and numbness throughout my entire body. Of course then I go into full blown panic mode - but I have been able to get up, get a glass of water, take a xanax if necessary and go back to bed. Is this just another panic symptom?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Norman M. replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer- thanks for visiting.

Really, I think you can relax. While tingling and numbness can be caused by many physical disorders, the fact is that they are common symptoms of panic attacks.

Tingling around the mouth for example, is pretty common - it's caused by a chemical imbalance that happens when you hyperventilate. All over the body is less common, but still happens to a lot of people.

Numbness and tingling which is the result of some thing physically wrong is usually localized ( for example in a particular area of your body) or distinctly one sided, to left or right.

The facts that (a) yours is generalized and (b) seems to resolve itself very quickly suggests that you're right - it's another panic symptom.

Having said that, if it continues, go to your Doctor and have him check it out - really just to reassure yourself that things are REALLY ok.

I hope this has been of some help.

Best regards,