Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

Iam teaching these behaviors to teenagers in a workshop to

Iam teaching these behaviors   to teenagers in a workshop:to learn how to get along.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kimistry40 replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
teenagers do not know when to react in everyday behaviors...those behaviors could be explain to them through role playing.I need suggestions on how to make workshop interesting.
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
When I work with teenagers, I keep them moving, and keep humor in the air. Teens don't like to be lectured to by adults, so no matter how important your information is, or how much you think they need to know it, if you don't present it in a way that they're willing to receive, you'll lose them.

One of my best techniques is to have them play out/role model/make skits of terrible outcomes first. Have them make up situations where the teen responds hilariously terrible. They love to do that, and it makes them laugh. Most importantly you now don't have to convince them that what they're probably already doing isn't a good thing.

You can have them role model adults reacting to them and have them really go overboard with characterizations of the adults being stiff and disdainful.

If you spend enough time joining with them in this way, after all the laughter and joining in the fun slows down, they'll be ready to listen to different ways, and maybe even show you that they probably know the right way to do it anyway...they just don't usually want to.

I've used this in churches, adolescent inpatient units and juvenile detention centers, and it always gets them involved and energized.

Please click Accept if you've received any new ideas from this post. Thank you.
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience: Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
suggestive scenarios of role playing behaviors
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
What is the point of the class you're teaching?
Where is it that you want them to get to when they're done with the class?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
exampleofroleplayingbehaviors
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
Customer Your original post was cut off at the place where you were explaining what you were teaching them to do in the workshop. If I know what the focus of the class is, I can give you some examples for you to use.

I clicked the wrong button and sent this as an answer instead of an information request...sorry.
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
Maybe this will help:

Start with an ice-breaker game. I like to bring a small ball and toss it to someone and they say their name, then everybody repeats the name. They toss it to someone else who says their name...you keep doing this till it seems like everyone has been covered. This activity has movement and voice and connectivity.

Then I would talk about the topic at hand a bit...getting along. Why do we care? I'd find a way to bring it to how they care when someone acts right...like when they go to buy something online...how do they feel when it doesn't work? When someone doesn't do their job? How do they feel when teachers don't do their job properly. The point of this is to tie them into the topic.

Then I would ask them to break up into groups of 2-3 or 3-4 and work on a skit that shows horrible/rude behavior that just ruins relationships. Let them come up with the examples....they will do it with a little prodding. Some that I've seen are:

A poorly executed break-up.
Someone acting really snotty.
Someone acting really aggressively with no reason...bullish
Someone acting two-faced
A tattletale
A theif
A silent attention grabber
The seductress
The Man Ho
The unrestrained ADD person
The too touchy/feely person
The emotional mess

Work with them and discuss and laugh about it. Take a break so they can socilize and discuss it amongst themselves, and then have them come back and work as a group on the same problem, better outcome.

Process it all as a group before you end.

Is this what you're looking for?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
how many x's do i pay?
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
You don't need to pay anymore, and thank you for the fee's and bonus that you've already paid. It was my error to send my info request in a format that you would "Accept" before I finished answering your question.

Feel free to ask more questions anytime, or request me to answer them. Each new question that is answered by an expert is welcome for payment.

You don't need to Accept this note that I just wrote, nor pay for it.