Nancy, Psychotherapist
Experience:  ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years

I have ADHD and I have moved to a new town. How do I get the

Customer Question

I have ADHD and I have moved to a new town. How do I get the same meds I have been taking?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
The chances of getting an immediate appt with a psychiatrist are probably slim, but you can go to any walk-in clinic and get a new Rx for your ADD meds. Some Walgreens even have them inside the stores now, but you can look it up on the internet. They can just treat you on what you're saying or they can also contact your prior doctor to check out your story.

(Lots of people seeking drugs for abuse tell the story "I just moved from out of town" as they go from one doc to another to get pills, so if you sense some uneasiness, it may be from that.)

Welcome to Vermont!
If you've received advice from this post, please click Accept. Thank you!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This does not answer my query. I am wondering how I can get an appt.!
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
You look in the phone book or internet under "walk-in" medical clinics, or Ugent Care and find one close to your home or work, and call them to check on availability or just show up depending on their hours.

Here is one reference:

Here is another that you can type in the name of your town and get the name, number and hours of clinics.

They will schedule you an appointment if you call them.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am taking Straterra There are no instant clinics here!Straterra is not a medication that is abused!
Expert:  Nancy replied 7 years ago.

Most Psychiatrists or PCP's are booked a few weeks out. You may not be able to find someone right away, but you have a few options for getting your medication while you wait for an appointment with any one of them.

If you have refills left from your old pharmacy - they can transfer those to a pharmacy in your area.

Or, you can call your old doctor and ask for a refill until you get in to see a new doctor - most doctors understand this and will write for a few weeks/months worth of meds while you find a new doctor.

Having your meds is the priority - so try those options while you continue your search for a new doctor.

Good luck!