Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.

I am 37 years old, have been on 200 mg of zoloft for 14 years

I am 37 years old, have been on 200 mg of zoloft for 14 years and in the past year have had severe anxiety episodes where I lose my appetite, can think straight, worry, just want to sleep, feel helpless and like life will never get better. This usually lasts 1-2 weeks then I am back to my normal self and the overwhelmed feelings go away... The problem is that it has been occuring about every 6 weeks now whereas before it was like once a year. I went to see a Shrink and after seeing me for 40 minutes wants me to take Abilify? I dont see anywhere where it says it is for anxiety and worrying? Should I seek a second opinion? What is yours?
Hello! I think I can give you some help with this concern of yours, and a little more info would help me do that.

Are you wanting to stay on the Zoloft?
Did the doctor talk to you about other medications?
Have you researched Abilify?

I'll get back to you as soon as I get these clarifications.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I am afraid to stop the zoloft because I have been on it for so long and dont feel anxious/depressed 100% of the time. I get triggers. I have lupus and whenever I have to go to the dr I get scared and worry (even though it is only 1x a year that I see them). I worry about death etc...... I over worry for sure.. My last episiode was 1 week before my hubbys 40th surprise party which I had a lot on my plate for..... Relatives were in from out of town and a zillion things to do. I was overwhelmed and felt like I shut down.

I did research Abilify and it scares me for some reason.

OK, that helps. I know that Zoloft has been around for a long time, and people don't want to let it go because they're afraid the original depression will return, and no one wants that.'s been my experience that people who are on Zoloft for a long time tend to actually lose the effect of it. I wonder if your doctor didn't add the Abilify to try to boost the effect of the Zoloft so that it could return to a better result for you. Especially if you didn't want to stop the Zoloft.
<br />Another issue that comes to mind is if your doctor is seeing your anxious episodes as hypomanic, as Abilify and Zoloft can but used to treat Bipolor Disorder.
<br />
<br />In all honesty, I would recommend returning to your doctor and asking for a whole new medcine...there are so many better ones now that can treat your depression & anxiety at the same time in one pill. This would require you to give up the Zoloft, but I think it's time for you to do that. It looks like the effect you're getting now crumbles under a life-challenge and turns into anxiety.
<br />
<br />But if you're going to stay the course, I wouldn't worry about the Abilify. I found a blog board where people with anxiety talk about's not professional, but it may lead you to more comfort with your decision to change meds or start the Abilify.
<br />
<br />I hope this helps you. Anxiety and depression are very painful issues that can rob the fun out of life. Keep pressing forward till you're satisfied that your disease is under control and you have your life back. You're worth it!
<br />
<br />If you accept this advice, please click Accept. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck.