Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

Could the mental confusion, agitation, anxiety, etc., be related

Could the mental confusion, agitation, anxiety, etc., be related to the thyroid issues, chemical imbalances or is it more likely a mental illness that just is surfacing on someone who in the 42 years that I have known her has always been one of the most mentally healthy people I have known.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.

Yes Indeed you are correct, as all of these symptoms could be caused by Thyroid disorder.

But please note that not only Thyroid disorders can mimic symptoms of Mood disorder, Thyroid disorder can be caused by drugs used in mood disorder, for example by drugs such as Lithium, and they can also coexist with mood disorder .

Also Bipolar disorder can have varied manifestations,and it is not necessary that every patient have similar manifestation.If she is diagnosed by a psychiatrist, it is very much likely that she is suffering form Bipolar disorder.

Bipolar disorder

I hope it helps, if you have any other query, please feel free to ask.