Dr. Debra
Dr. Debra, Psychiatrist
Experience:  27 Years of General Psychiatry

I was once on Abilify and Effexor together and I got the side

I was once on Abilify and Effexor together and I got the side effect of tremors and crawling skin feeling.

I have since been diagnosed Bipolar II

I want to try Abilify again since I am on different drugs ie. Wellbutrin, Zoloft, and Geodon.

Do you think I will just end up getting the same reaction or could that have been because of the combination with Effexor?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Debra replied 7 years ago.

I think its likely you could get these, or other very unpleasant side effects with this new combination. This is because by combining Wellbutrin with Zoloft you are increasing the same neurotransmitters as you did with Effexor. But as always with psychopharmacology it can be difficult to predict side effects when trying new combinations of medicines. Under your doctor's supervision you may want to try adding Abilify if you aren't getting the results you want from your current regimen.