NGonzalez, Psychotherapist
Experience:  15 yrs of clinical experience, relationship issues, marriage & family therapy, eating disorders

Any advice for my PTSD treatment that hasnt been done already

Any advice for my PTSD treatment that hasn't been done already with SSRI's, Lithium, Benzodiazipines, and Alpha-Blockers?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  NGonzalez replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. Before I answer your question, I would like more information.

Did you actually receive inpatient treatment or was it recommended? How often do you attend therapy and is it with someone who specializes in PTSD? Do you attend or have you attended group therapy?

I look forward to helping and hearing more. Please reply so that I can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I attended inpatient treatment in "acute psych" for three suicide attempts, the first was three days, second thirty days, and the third, twenty days. I also was accepted into a Veterans Affairs program named "PART" Psychological and Addiction Recovery Treatment for four weeks, ending on May 21, 2009. "PART" consisted of six hours of Mon-Fri group counseling over various psychological and addiction therapies and their connections.

I currently am being treated on a outpatient schedule at my local VA hospital for medication management, which I am concerned is not working very well, and not currently in group. Basically, after four years, my PTSD has grown worse and am needing advice on alternative treatment.

Expert:  NGonzalez replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for the additional information. I'm sorry to hear that your PTSD symptoms are worsening. Given the time and energy you have spent to treat it, it must feel frustrating that you do not feel better.

When symptoms do not improve there are variety of variables that contribute to the reasons. If you feel the medication is not working, its important to assert these feeling to the psychiatrist and explore changing medicine, dosage, and/or the combination of the medications. Sometimes its helpful to have a physical exam too to rule out biological factors that may be interfering.

You already know that being in therapy involves a real commitment to experiencing uncomfortable feelings and doing the work required by you between sessions. I am no suggesting that you have neglected this responsibility. I'm suggesting that you explore if there is anything recently or in the past that has resulting in blocking your progress. Discuss your concerns with your therapist and ask for feedback. Ask if, in their opinion, you are actively participating in your treatment or has something changed?

Lastly, Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing (EMDR) is a therapy that's used for people with PTSD. As with any therapy there are mixed results of its effectiveness. For some people its been very helpful while for other's it did not provide much relief of their symptoms. There are several website that discuss the technique and its therapy. You will need a specialized trained EMDR therapist for this type of treatment.

Here are a few links:

Again, I know it feels discouraging that your symptoms persist. However, there is hope that you can relieve these symptoms. It will take perseverence that includes exploring all of the options until you find the ones that works for you. That is what you did by asking this question. Keep asking and keep requesting support from your treatment providers. I wish you the best.

Best regards,