Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

what are the withdrawel symptoms My friend takes xyrem daily

what are the withdrawel symptoms? My friend takes xyrem daily multi times. He says as soon as he feels his depression starting he takes a dose. His doctor only prescribes

a certain amount each month. He says that is all the fda allows. When he takes xyrem he is so hyper and manic. When he runs out of it he lays in bed having nightmares and can not function. This sounds like withdrawal to me.

Why is he taking xyrem for daytime depression? Is this a common use?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 7 years ago.
Hi and welcome

Your friend is taking this drug for depression? This is a drug that is used for narcolepsy and is a very dangerous drug if not taken as directed and closely monitored, especially if he suffers from depression. Check out the link I am including here. He is abusing this drug, not suffering from withdrawal. He needs to see a doctor as soon as possible, there is something wrong with his explanation or his understanding of the purpose of this drug.

I hope this helps.
Dr. Keane
Please click accept and leave feedback