Dr. C. Morgan
Dr. C. Morgan, Doctor
Experience:  Ph.D. Clinical Psychology

I know of one who has had a severe head injury (skull fracture)

I know of one who has had a severe head injury (skull fracture) when they were 10 years old. They are now 45 but have an alarming habbit since. (This is a heterosexual person by the way)
This person's habbit is that if they are forming a bond of friendship with a man or woman they will have a deep desire to bite,caress lick the ear of another. Sounds sexual however they insist it is a deep primal desire to intimately bond. It indeed sounds primal as well because of the fact they not only want to bite, caress and lick the ear but taste how that person feels, how soft the skin is how far the softness extends and what that individual person's chemistry smells like. Does this have possibly something to do with their head injury? Is it a deep psychological problem? If so what? How does this person stop this behavior because it is embarrassing and they are ashamed of this character flaw. Although they are able to control it, it is an extremely deep primal need.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. C. Morgan replied 7 years ago.

I work with lots of people who have had head injuries. It is very common for people with head injuries to have poor impulse control and odd behaviors such as you describe. It usually has to do with damage to the frontal lobe of the brain, which is the part of the brain right behind your forehead. The frontal lobe is involved with emotions, impulse control, and regulating social behavior among other things. When damage occurs to that area you often see odd behaviors, strange habits, quirky personalities, etc as a results.

Depending on the severity of the brain injury sometimes behavioral interventions can be effective in changing those behaviors. Often a reward system will be beneficial if the person has some type of reward they want to work for. Every time they feel a desire to engage in the behavior if they do something else they get points or credits toward the reward. The reward really has to be something the person wants and that is different for everyone. Could be monetary, could be going to a movie, buying something special, etc.

I hope that helps. If so, please click accept. If you need more information just let me know.