NGonzalez, Psychotherapist
Experience:  15 yrs of clinical experience, relationship issues, marriage & family therapy, eating disorders

I suffer from major depression. Have been preety good for two

I suffer from major depression. Have been preety good for two years. Am very depressed again and wanting to cut on myself. have done this before. scared! Family says I don't need hosp. Help me

Thank you for your question. I would like to help but I need for information. What do you mean by family says you do not need hospitalization. Do they know you are depressed and that you are wanting to cut? You said you've done this before, when, for how long, and what helped or changed to stop the behavior. Lastly, are you in therapy and who prescribed the medicine (GP or psychiatrist).

I look forward to your question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes my family knows I want to cut. I have been in the hosp. before in another state. I am not suidal but Ireally want to cut and to bad. but not to die

Thanks for the reply. Just one more question, please. Are you in therapy or do you see a psychiatrist for your medicine?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I see a psychiatrist for my med. He sugguested the hosp. but I am very afraid of going in and my kids don't think I'm as bad as a was when I was put in the hosp.

Thank you for being patient with my questions and for your answers. As you know, cutting can be a way of releasing all negative emotions, or a distraction from emotional pain. Therefore, one way to manage the urge to cut is for you to find a way of releasing the emotional pain in a healthy manner. Most people who cut themselves are usually going through a difficult time in their lives.

If you are not willing to go to the hospital per your psychiatrist recommendation its important that you receive some form of professional help. You should start psychotherapy and attend regularly, including more than once a week if recommended. Additionally, find a support group to supplement your individual therapy and seek your family's support if they can appropriately support you.

I know this is really difficult and it can feel really scary but you are doing the right thing by reaching out for help in an attempt to prevent re-engaging in this behavior. Here are a few more tips

1. Talk to someone you trust about your feeling, in addition to therapy

2. Talk to someone when you have the urge to cut

3. Keep a hotline number with you and call when you need support or when you want to cut

4. Remove cutting tools from your immediate area. Its important to control your environment.

5. Identify the triggers that make you want to cut and develop a coping plan that includes what you will do instead

I should say that its important to keep in mind that your psychiatrist has your best interest in mind when making a recommendation. If you find that you cannot manage your symptoms with outpatient help, please consider his recommendation.

I wish you the best and I hope this is helpful.