Dr. Debra
Dr. Debra, Psychiatrist
Experience:  27 Years of General Psychiatry
15958429

I was put on depakote and zoloft when I was about 12 for diagnosed

Customer Question

I was put on depakote and zoloft when I was about 12 for diagnosed bi polar disorder after about 4 years I took myself off of it. Now I am 26 and have mile depression, wild mood swings and anxiety attacks when in large groups. I am thinking about going back to a psychologist, do you have any suggestions on anything that could help. Thanks
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Debra replied 7 years ago.

Are you currently on any medication, prescription or not?

Are you taking any dietary supplements?

Have there been any especially stressful events in your life recently?

Thanks, XXXXX
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Im not any medication currently No supplements and no unual stress I'm finding that as im getting older im becoming more withdrawn and tend to socialize less. This is not my nature and having anxiety when going out makes hanging out with friend or meeting new people a true task.
Expert:  Dr. Debra replied 7 years ago.

"Anxiety" means different things to different people. Do you find yourself sweating, or heart racing, and bodily shaking? Or do you just feel "uncomfortable"?   

Thanks, XXXXX
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My heart races then my palms start to sweat sometimes I feel lightheaded
Expert:  Dr. Debra replied 7 years ago.

This sounds like a severe case of anxiety or even a mild panic attack. In this case I highly recommend seeing a psychiatrist for prescription medication and CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy). Your psychiatrist can tell you what medications are best for your particular condition.

In the meantime, be sure to eat a balanced diet with plenty of green leafy vegetables (for the magnesium) and make time to exercise.

Thanks, XXXXX
Expert:  Dr. Debra replied 7 years ago.
Oh, and I forgot to mention, I'll be happy to answer any other questions you have about this issue.

Thanks, XXXXX