Nancy
Nancy, Psychotherapist
Experience:  ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years

I am going thru a lot in my life recently... i am short selling

I am going thru a lot in my life recently... i am short selling my home because I cant afford the payments, i just got audited from the IRS for my business, my wife is newly pregnant (which I am happy about), and I am feeling immense stress and anxiety. I went to an acupuncturist yesterday which helped a little, but I still cannot concentrate.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Nancy replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for writing.

Stress effects us is so many ways, but on of the classic ways is decreased concentration. Anxiety can do the same.

Accupuncture is wonderful, but if it did not clear up your stress and anxiety and you want is to go away soon, you'll want to consider seeing a psychiatrist for short-term medication therapy.

You could also go into counseling to learn new coping skills for your stress. Typically you go into someone's office once a week and talk about things that have happened over the past week. You discuss your thoughts, feelings, and behaviors and your therapist may help you to see things in a new light, or point out any discrepencies based on what your goals are.

Hope this helps!

Nancy

Nancy, Psychotherapist
Experience: ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How would I go about finding and choosing a therapist? And doesnt it take a lot of money and time to have success with that?
Expert:  Nancy replied 5 years ago.

No, it doesn't take a lot of time and money to have success with this - you just have to be clear what you want from therapy - and tell your therapist that.

Finding a good therapist - and one you like and feel comfortable with, take a little time.

You can do a few things - if you have insurance, you can call the number on your insurance card - and ask for a mental health referral. Ask for a PhD or PsyD Psychologist. Having a doctor almost surely ensures you will get someone with this type of training.

You can also call a few people from the phone book who state they work with stress and anxiety.

Finally, you can call your State Psychologist licensing board and ask for a referral.

If you don't make any progress in therapy - ask for a referral to a Psychiatrist for medications. There are short acting, non-addictive medications, such as Buspar that work well.

Nancy

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would you say that is better than going to a regular doctor?

I have even been contemplating smoking or alcohol to make me feel better.

I just have this constant cloud or pressure I feel that I cant shake. Right after acupuncture I felt great, but I wonder if that was just a placebo effect.

Will medication help with that?
Expert:  Nancy replied 5 years ago.

Seeing a Psychiatrist is the best way to go -- almost all people who did not get better, in my practice, were previously treated by their regular MD and did not get the right medication or the right dose. Once seeing a psychiatrist, they do better. But also know, that the longer you don't completely treat something - the worse it gets, and the harder it is to treat.

Smoking (I assume you mean pot) will temporarily make you feel less anxious, but pot smokers do brain damage and have higher rates of lung cancer than 2 pack a day cigarette smokers.

Alcohol is a depressant and will make the anxiety go away in the short term, but (and you never know if it's drink 1 or drink 1001) it increases anxiety. Ask anyone who tried these (pot or alcohol) will say they wish they had just done the correct medication right away - because all the things they tried in the meantime made it worse and harder to treat.

Accupuncture DID make you feel better - but short term, and it didn't addressing fixing the underlying cause. Medication does.

Medication fixes your brain - it makes it work properly so you don't have anxiety. Other treatments are band-aids - temporary fixes, but meds actually fix the problem so that when you off the meds - your brain works correctly.

Nancy