Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

i was diagnosed with depression on 4/ 2 and placed on pristiq

i was diagnosed with depression on 4/ 2 and placed on pristiq 2 tabs a day
my dr agrees there has been an improvement mentally . i no longer cry or get upset or have anxious thoughts i can work and focus etc... .   but the internal shaking is ruining my life we cant get that under control i take 1/2 lorezapan when it get really bad or 1   but i cant live my life this way i feel like something has taken control of my body . even my dr is now scrating her head      could this be a symptom of somehting else. i am 72 years old no history of mental illness and other than the usual b p problems i am in good health     please help me
Hi and welcome,

The side effects of Pristiq include that sounds like what you describe, but that does not mean it isn't causing the internal shakes. You state you are taking two tables a day, is that a total of 50 mg or each dosage 50 mg? I am sure your doctor is aware of your high blood pressure but if she isn't, tell her so you can be monitored while on the medication.
If your doctor is scratching her head it may be time to switch to another antidepressant. If you have only experienced this shaking since you were put on pristiq I doubt it is a symptom of anything else. I would ask your doctor to change your antidepressant medication and see if that helps. Unfortunately it takes time to get the right dose and the right medication on target. You may be the one individual who has this reaction. I hope this helps you. Good luck.
Dr. Keane
Please click accept and leave feedback.

<br />
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
im not sure if understand your first sentence are you saying that the shaking is generally not a side effect of pristiq but that doesnt mean it cant be a side effect right? i have been know to have side effect with certain drugs that on not on their list of side effect. the tabs are .50mg each thank you
Hi , yes a typo , sorry..... shaking is generally not a side effect .......since you have had side effects that aren't listed before it is probably just that on the pristiq. Ask your doctor to switch to another med, it won't hurt and you may not have the same side effect, if you get lucky you won't have any. Just don't give up and live with the shakes, there is no need to do that.
Good Luck.
Dr. Keane
Please click accept and leave feedback.
Good Luck.
Dr. Keane
Please click accept and leave feedback.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

one last question and you have been great!!!!

how long when the pristiq is stopped will the shaking stop ( they are time realeasecaps)

I really do not know how long it will take to stop shaking when you stop the pristiq since you will be doing so under the guidance of your doctor and you will gradually stop, not all at once. If the shakes are from the pristiq you should start feeling better as you lessen the dosage of prestiq. I do hope you find relief quickly. Good Luck.
Dr. Keane
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you so much