Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

I am on Lithium 300mg. in the morning and 600mg at bedtime

Customer Question

I am on Lithium 300mg. in the morning and 600mg at bedtime my level today came back at .47 so they want me to take 600 twice a day because they want it a little bit higher I've noticed I been feeling tired and dizzy lately could have anything to do with the low lithium level
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 7 years ago.

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, serum lithium levels need to be maintained between 0.6 - 0.12 meq/l, in order , for lithium to act to its full ptency as a mood stabilizer and prevent both manic as well as depressive epsiodes . Since your serum lithium levels is 0.47 , which is less than the desired level,so that lithium can control your symptoms well , and as a result of less serum lithium , your condition is swaying towards depression , and thus you are feeling tired , lethargic, dizzy . So i agree with your doctor , and as he has mentioned to increase the dose to 600 mg , twice a day , you should carry it out , this will increase the serum levels of lithium , and thus the potency and action of lithium will reach to the optimum , and your present symptoms will be allayed.

I am mentioning below a link which will throw more light on the serum lithium levels .

http://www.lycos.com/info/lithium--serum-lithium.html

I wish you best of health. Take care..

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Regards....