Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

I was on paxil (10mg) for 10 years for depression and anxiety

I was on paxil (10mg) for 10 years for depression and anxiety before I decided to start tapering off. I felt that these conditions were under control and my psychiatrist agreed that I could start reducing my dosage. I tapered using the liquid version in a syringe and was down to only .01 cc for months before I quit completely. This was about a year ago.

However, recently I have been experiencing symptoms that I fear are somehow related to paxil withdrawal. I have been experiencing strange tactile hallucinations lately that feel a lot like bugs crawling over my skin. I mostly get these sensations at night and they keep me awake. But they've only appeared in the last week. Could quitting my medication over a year ago be just starting to affect me now? I've had no other withdrawal symptoms be
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.

Commonly reported withdrawal symptoms by patients on Paxil are dizziness, tingling sensations, nausea, stomach cramp, but this is a unusual symptom you are reporting.

Also most of the patient tolerate 50% dose reduction for 3 days, then another 50% dose reduction for 3 days followed by discontinuation, but you took many months as you have mentioned,and experienced no withdrawal symptoms, so it is not because of Paxil withdrawal in my view.

These symptoms of your's, do require a detailed medical as well as Psychiatric evaluation. So you should consult your treating doctor to find out the exact cause for it.

If you have any other query, please feel free to ask.

Best wishes.