NGonzalez
NGonzalez, Psychotherapist
Experience:  15 yrs of clinical experience, relationship issues, marriage & family therapy, eating disorders
18911730

My son is 12 years has been threats of aggression in school

My son is 12 years has been threats of aggression in school for four students, took the case to princial and he asked me to wait to come into contact. Already spent 6 days and not get any connection from the school. My son is scared and afraid, that losing the school, what can I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  NGonzalez replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. I am working on your answer but I need for information. Could you explain your situation a little more?

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you saying that the school is not taking action to solve the bullying toward your son? If I did not understand will you please explain more?

Thank you,

NGonzalez

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
first I apologize for my English and that little. My son was in the bathroom encuralado by four students on May 28. Was counted in the school among students that a alunoX had been suspended for having a gun placed in the head of my son. That did not happen. When this student came back the suspension along with three other students held my son in the bathroom. Not the student attacked by a scream and ask them to stop, but followed him inside the school until he called home saying I needed to leave it was going badly. Back to school with him and told the fact to the police and the school principal, made a report with my phone as the principal asked. He said that my son does not return to school, he was very scared and afraid. The principal told me qu meant that I hoped he would contact by telephone. Five days have passed since the events and the school did not call me anymore. I am outraged by it and scared by the fear of my son. Do not know what to do, I thought to seek a lawyer. I am lost and confused.
Expert:  NGonzalez replied 5 years ago.

DearCustomer

Thank you for answering my question. I am so sorry your son had to endure this kind of maltreatment and I am sorry the school has not responded well. I'm glad you are asking for help.

First, I think your son need to see a counselor or psychologist to talk about the abuse and his fear. Its important that he get this kind of support as soon as possible. An added benefit of taking him to a professional is you will have an advocate for him to help advise the school on how to help him and encourage action from the school.

With regard to the school, 5 days is more than plenty of time for them to call you back. It important to put everything in writing. Document what happened to him, who was involved, you you talked to at the school, when they said they would call and how long its take for them to call.

Follow the chain of command, fist call the school to inquire about they follow-up call you are expecting and why you have not received a call. If they do not talk to you and/or call you back its reasonable for you to call the principle's boss and so on. Again, write everything down. Do not stop calling and go to the board for help if you are unsatisfied with the reply. Schools often pay attention when parents call the board but I would still try to follow the chain of command first. Also, I think contacting an attorney is probably a good idea. He or she can let you know your legal options. The school has an obligation to protect your son and make him feel safe, that includes protecting his mental health.

Research tells us that our response to bullying must be prompt and firm given the psychological implications of maltreatment. Don't give up.

Here are a few resources that may be helpful:

http://www.hazelden.org/web/go/olweusparent

http://www.kidscape.org.uk/parents/top10frustrations.html

Good luck to you and your family. My best wishes to all of you.

NGonzalez

NGonzalez, Psychotherapist
Experience: 15 yrs of clinical experience, relationship issues, marriage & family therapy, eating disorders