NGonzalez, Psychotherapist
Experience:  15 yrs of clinical experience, relationship issues, marriage & family therapy, eating disorders

Hi, I have been struggling all my life trying to figure out

Customer Question

Hi, I have been struggling all my life trying to figure out just what is wrong with me. I am an ony child. I grew up moving to a different town every 2 years. I attended ten different public schools. My parents always, always fought, and I was never allowed to have friends over. The one time I had a girlfriend over in 4th grade, my mother humiliated me in front of her. My mother was extremely emotionally abusive to me. I used to ask her, "why did you have me?" I just couldn't understand... she hated me SO much. She finally left my father and I when I was 14. My father was just weird to live with, as I didn't know him. He decided to continue her legacy and be just as abusive. He had my convinced that I was capable of nothing, and couldn't function without him, and then he would tell me how dumb I was and chastise me. Today, I am a binge drinker, have problems emotionally and am on prosac. Is there a better medication for me, as I still have trouble? Is this common?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  NGonzalez replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry your parents were abusive and I am sorry its been so difficult for you. Its not surprising that you are struggling with emotional issues and trying to manage what I imagine are a variety of highly intense feelings through drinking.

I'm sorry that previous attempts at therapy have felt unsuccessful. The truth is that in order for you to resolve the emotional consequences of your past abuse and your addictive tendencies, medication alone will only treat part of the problem. Please consider going to therapy and make a commitment to attend consistently for at least 6 months. Its important that you feel comfortable with the therapist so you may need to meet with a couple of therapist before you make your commitment to attend. Also, find a therapist who has experience with abuse and addictive issues. Therapy can be difficult because you as asked to talk about painful feelings which can be uncomfortable. However, if you continue to explore these uncomfortable feeling the intensity will lessen.

With regard to medicine, there are other SSRI's you can try. Similar to finding a therapist that is a good match, you may need to try different medicines and dosages that work best. Make an appointment with a psychiatrist to evaluate which medicine is right for you and your symptoms. Keep in mind that mixing alcohol with these medication is discouraged.

Again, I know feeling as you do is tough but avoiding your feelings will intensify what you are feeling while talking about them with a trained professional will eventually result in feeling better.

Good luck and best wishes.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your answer. I appreciate your time.
Expert:  NGonzalez replied 7 years ago.

My pleasure. If you have any follow-up questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Good luck.

Best regards,