Dr. Chris in Ohio
Dr. Chris in Ohio, Ohio Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  24 years Psych experience. Expert: psych meds, depression, bipolar, anxiety disorders, schizophrenia
19079652

I AM CURRENTLY SUFFERING FROM EMOTIONAL PROBLEMS DUE TO MY

Customer Question

I AM CURRENTLY SUFFERING FROM EMOTIONAL PROBLEMS DUE TO MY MOTHER BEING RECENTLY DIAGNOSED WITH CANCER. ADDITIONALLY, I AM ALSO DEALING WITH BUSINESS FINANCIAL DIFFICULTIES WHICH CAUSE ME WITHDRAW FROM EVERYONE, I.E. NOT RETURNING PHONE CALLS OR MESSAGES AND ALIENATING THOSE THAT CARE ABOUT ME. HOW DO I DEAL WITH THIS PROBLEMS IN A HEALTHY MANNER?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Chris in Ohio replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Your reaction to all of your stressors is normal, so please do not be too hard on yourself.

It sounds to me like you are suffering from mild/moderate depression. The best treatment would be to talk with a counselor/therapist to "air out your problems and issues". I find that women does best with women counselors, and men do best with men.

Additionally, I think a short term use of a mood elevator (antidepressant) might help take the edge off. There is a newer drug out there that I have had excellent results with. Its name is XXXXX XXXXX 50 mg. every morning is all you (and most people) would need to take. The med takes a week or so to begin working, but once it does, it will have "take off the edge", so you will be able to deal better with these stressors.

Also, do not worry, this med is non-addicting, and you can take it for months to years without any fear of becoming hooked on it. If Prestiq is too expensive, I would then suggest Effexor, 75 mg. twice a day. This is a $4 drug at WalMart. This too would take at least one week to start working.

Good luck to you.

Dr. CJH