Dr. Chris in Ohio
Dr. Chris in Ohio, Ohio Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  24 years Psych experience. Expert: psych meds, depression, bipolar, anxiety disorders, schizophrenia

I thought that drinking alcohol with prozac and ads lessened

Customer Question

I thought that drinking alcohol with prozac and ad's lessened the effect of prozac; therefore, prozac wouldn't work as well for the depression.
What do you know about this?
mom of 4 that drinks 2-3 glasses of wine/night.
Submitted: 7 years ago via HealthBoards.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Chris in Ohio replied 7 years ago.

You are absolutely right. Alcohol, through a mechanism not fully understood, temporarily "washes out" neurotransmitters in the synapses (serotonin and norepinephrine), which results in lowered levels of these, which results in increased feelings of depression. Prozac effects only serotonin. That is why people who have drank heavily often feel depressed the next morning.

No problem with one glass of wine, but more than that is setting you up for increased feelings of depression.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I do tend to have a little depression, but mainly anxiety or a sense of being overwhelmed with the 4 little kids and the crazy eve hour 5-8p. may be prozac is not the best for me? or is there something else that may help my evening anxiety vs. alcohol?

Michelle, MPH, RD, LDN, MOM

Alcohol really doesn't mix well with any antidepressant or anti-anxiety med. It makes the antidepressant work less effectively, and it combines with the anti-anxiety meds to make you more sedated.

My suggestion to you would be Vistaril, 50 mg..... a mild anti-anxiety drug that is not addicting.

Good luck!