MasterDoc
MasterDoc, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency physician for 20 years treating many psychiatric patients
3119816

For a PHYSICIAN please. I just took 100mg Dilantin. I have

For a PHYSICIAN please. I just took 100mg Dilantin. I have ocd and hate taking zoloft...i have decreased my zoloft to 25 to 50mg and at that level it does little for ocd...I borrowed 100mg dilantin from my brother and within an hour my ocd symptoms decreased dramatically...i think i will asky my dr. to put me on dilantin instead of zoloft. because dilantin is tried and true and peopel have been on it their whole lives and been SMART still. SSRI"s I do not trust I have been on them 10 years and have seen deterioration in my memory. I am only 27 and am trying to finish a degree but am too impacted by zoloft...i think DILANTIn may be my saviour. There is some literature that it helps in ocd...and i am much more comfortable taking that than zoloft. We just don't know enough about the long term effects of SSRI's on the brain . I am not saying dilantin may not have side effects but epileptics take 300mg ...100mg worked dramatically for me. what do you think?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 7 years ago.
I think a trial of dilantin might be an excellent idea. The fact that such a low dose seemed to work on you is encouraging. As you point out, there are a lot of anecdotal reports that dilantin helps with OCD. The problem, of course, is that since there is no money to be made off of its use, there is no incentive for anyone to do a FULL, controlled, careful scientific study. But I agree it might be worth a try if you can get your MD to go along.
Please click ACCEPT.
Feel free to ask a follow-up question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Which drug is safer in your mind? Dilantin has shown cerebellar atrophy if used over 30 years or so...but SOME people say that SSRI's decrease memory long term and some say they increase memory! so what is the truth i gues swe won't really know for another 100 years or so?? If i could take dilantin at 100mg that would not cause cerebellar atrophy?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I also wanted to say I am scared for my brother . He was diagnosed with epilepsy at age 18. he has been on dilantin 300mg since then. The thing is he is a genius..or actually has a genius level IQ. He has completed a Computer Engineering Degree like it was nothing while being on dilantin for 4 years. He has something called cortical dysplagia . What are his chances of ever getting off dilantin? when he was 18 he had numerous severe back to back grand mal seizures and was intubated in the hospital for a couple days...he since then has been seizure free on dilantin. And what is going to happen to his memory / cerebellum etc in another 10 years