Dr. C. Morgan
Dr. C. Morgan, Doctor
Experience:  Ph.D. Clinical Psychology

My friend barely speaks anyone anymore. When he does its only

My friend barely speaks anyone anymore. When he does its only on the phone and only if I call. We have always been close. Lately he appears to be like a zombie. He tells me that something happened that changed his life forever but he says its not the kind of thing you share with anyone. I have tried talking to him over and over again but i get nowhere. One time he mentioned that he thought he should see a doctor about getting Paxil. He seems to care very little about the people around him anymore. I am so worried about him and dont know what to do. When I talk to him its like talking to a dead person. There is no life in his voice. Often he lapses into long silences for no reason. He wont tell me what is wrong. Although he finally admitted that he had kind of hurt himself pyscologically and physically for the rest of his life and he said he looked up what he had and it said it severally phycologically cripples you? He wont get help or talk to me. I am worried, scared and lost?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. C. Morgan replied 7 years ago.

What you describe makes me wonder if he is experiencing posttraumatic stress disorder. Do you know if he has experienced any type of trauma possibly? Or it could be depression, although the part he says about something happening makes me think more PTSD.

I know it is difficult when he won't open up and when he won't talk to you. That is common with certain mental disorders. best thing you can do is just try to be supportive, keep calling him, but don't push him, and let him know you care about him, and are supportive of him no matter what. Maybe with time he will open up, but he will do it on his own time. show you still care and still want to be part of his life, but be patient. If you push too hard he will only push back harder.

I hope that helps. Let me know if I can be of further help. If you are satisfied with my response please click Accept.