Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

Last night I had a horrific dream that I was dying. I could

Last night I had a horrific dream that I was dying. I could actually feel my body shutting down. I forced myself to open my eyes. When I got up my whole body was numb and my pulse seemed very slow. This went on for about 15 minutes. I could barely feel my body and was numb all over. I really thought I was going to die. Does this sound like a panic attack? It has NEVER happened before. It was so scary. I am a 39 year old female.

Thanks,
R Duke
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 5 years ago.
Hi and welcome

Dreams such as the one you experienced last night are very scary. People describe them as paralyzing, numbing and you have no contol over anything that is happening . BUT I can tell you you did not have a panic attack. How is your health, sometimes these types of dreams come when we are anxious about our beliefs in our future, the idea of dying, illness etc. It was so scary to you maybe you thought you would die. Be assured that it was just a dream. You are just 39 yrs old but can you be thinking about aging? illness and death? Did you see someting on the news before bed that was tragic? Did anyone in your family die around your age? I have experienced a dream very similiar to yours once or twice actually, I remember not being able to move, I felt "frozen" and tried to say I wasn't dead but wasn't able to talk, it was scary and I did wake up with my chest pounding. I also have patients who experience these types of dream. The consensus of all seems to be that we had something on our minds that was bothering us, anxiety, a sick family member or friend, even a significant birthday.
What is bothering you?
Hopefully it will not happen again. Try not to think about it and if it does tell yourself you will not have that dream again.! Talk to youself and go to bed in a positive mood. It will do the trick.
Finally, know that you will be okay. Talk to a friend when you feel vulneralbe and if you want go talk to a psychologist that would help.
Just tell yourself, a dream is a dream and yours will be plesant .....think good thoughts before bedtime. and even though it felt like a panic attack, it was just your reaction to the dream.I hope this helps
I am available for followup if needed.
Dr. Keane Just click accept and leave feedback when you are satisfied.
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience: Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.