Dr. C. Morgan
Dr. C. Morgan, Doctor
Experience:  Ph.D. Clinical Psychology
18225558

I am male, 40 years old and without a doubt have high anxiey.

I am male, 40 years old and without a doubt have high anxiey.   For having such an anxiety problem I have taken a very strange road in my life. I ran a very stressful business for 7 years and became well know as a real problem solver and found a tremendous ability to relate to customers one on one. These attributes made it possible for me to generate a tremendous amount of sales and basically my own customer base.

The stress I referred to in my previous job was due to many reasons including my own fear of failure. I also became addicted to adrenaline rush. I have since started my own business and it is very successful and less stressful as I have good partners. Problem is anxiety is worse. Have always had a problem communicating in groups. I take a number of meds now and could not get through even 1/2 day without alprozalom. I worry now that I am not just dealing with anxiety, but may be at risk for a stroke. Have had a Carotoid scan. What else can I do ?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. C. Morgan replied 5 years ago.

Hi surefire,

Have you tried any type of treatment other than meds? Meds help, but don't solve the problem on their own. Research has shown that the most effective treatments for anxiety are what they call cognitive behavioral treatments. The best book I've found out there is called "The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook" by Edmund Borne. The great thing about the book is it is setup as a workbook with chapters not only on understanding anxiety, but also a separate chapter on each of the things you can do to work through anxiety, like relaxation, exercise, nutrition, as well as cognitive/thinking techniques.

One of the main concepts in treating anxiety is relaxation. Do you know how to relax? It is something most people have to work at and practice. Physiologically it is impossible to be anxious and relaxed at the same time, so by learning how to relax you actually learn how to manage anxiety.

That is only a nutshell intro, but basically there are effective proved techniques that work and can be worked through preferably with a therapist, but you could try on your own with a good workbook like the one I mentioned above.

If you are satisfied with this response please click accept. If you need more information just let me know. I am happy to help.

Dr. C. Morgan, Doctor
Experience: Ph.D. Clinical Psychology