Lively, Psychologist
Experience:  Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families

I am on short term dissability from work for emotional stress,

I am on short term dissability from work for emotional stress, depression, anxiety ect. and after 2 1/2 weeks of supplying paperwork from my primary care physician and my own signed consent form sent to them to allow my dr to release records of my treatment (meds) I was just told by the same person that my company requires that I have an evaluation by a licenced shrink or I will loose my disability benefits.   this evaluation they told me is not to determine if I need treatment by a shrink or to give me referreals to him or someone else. Its soley for my employer. This does not seem to in any way be for the treatment or benefit for me it seems to me that its a way for them to say "your fine, get over it and go back to work" am I being paranoid? is this practice regularly by companies??
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lively replied 7 years ago.

If you're not familiar with this process, I can see where it would make you nervous/frustrated to have to go through an exam with an independent psychiatrist. I have to assure you however, that this is standard procedure- not even just for mental health disability leaves, but also for medical leaves of other kinds. The insurance company requires an evaluation by an ostensibly neutral physician to confirm that you are, indeed, in need of services before they can justify ongoing payments of your bills.